OT- Cost of Living in North Central Kansas

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Wetlandguy, Oct 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM.

1. Wetlandguy

Wetlandguy New Member

Hey y’all,

Looking at jobs in Kansas and was wondering what a decent yearly salary out there is? Coming from CA (unfortunately) I have found difficulty trying to gauge what is reasonable. I know housing prices are MUCH lower so that’s a positive. Thanks for any input

2. SEK HUNTER

SEK HUNTER New Member

A decent average salary would depend on the line of work you are in. More importantly, what will/does it take for you to be comfortable and happy with?

3. Wetlandguy

Wetlandguy New Member

I’m in the wildlife/habitat management field (some jobs I’ve seen range from 35k-50k). All I really need to have to be happy is a 1,000 sq ft house in a livable condition, a pickup that gets me point a to b without breaking down, and enough money to hunt and fish often (yes, I know this could make any of us poor).

I’m a single so that makes this scenario a little easier.

4. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Anywhere is Kansas is 100 times better than Comifornia.

5. dux/24 7

40,000$ here is probably 60 or 70 in CA.

Kansan likes this.
  6. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Can you vote republican? Required in western Kansas

CJT, Kansan, ED Vanderbeck and 3 others like this.
  7. dux/24 7

If not stay in radical California.

8. oleww

oleww Senior Refuge Member

9. Wetlandguy

Wetlandguy New Member

Sounds like my kind of place!

CJT and Kansan like this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Twelve years ago, I retired in San Diego after living there for 32 years. Sold my home and move to Great Bend, KS, where I've been since. I can address the Cost Of Living comparison in a personal way, and here's what I've discovered:
    There are two significant areas where it's cheaper to live in small-town Kansas. The first is houses. The home I sold in SD for $380K would sell for approx $70K here. The second is gasoline: it's consistently a dollar/gallon cheaper here than SoCal. That's the "good news".
    Now the bad:
    Food costs the same. Guns cost the same. Ammo costs the same. Vehicles cost the same. Medical care costs the same, maybe slightly less but not much. Decoys cost the same. Clothing costs the same. Building materials cost the same. I'd say wages are comparable, maybe slightly less than SoCal. Virtually anything I buy, particularly online, costs the same.
    Here's the REALLY bad:
    Utilities are 5-8 times as high. That's not a misprint. In SD, I rarely had the AC or the furnace on. Here, for 300 days out of the year it seems, one or the other is cranking full speed.
    Auto insurance is 3-4 times higher as is homeowners insurance. The reason is primarily weather: lots of wind and hail here that were very rare in SoCal. Also, deer strikes are common here (auto ins).
    Bottom line: I find my yearly cost of living to be MORE here than in California. (If I had a mortgage payment, it might well be slightly less.)
    I expected a significantly reduced COL here, and was in for a rude awakening. Do I regret leaving SoCal? Not in the least. :tu

Fortunately, soon after moving here, I marred a beautiful, rich, young widow and have been able to maintain, even improve, my life style. :grvn God is good.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    CJT, Neck Collar and Wetlandguy like this.