OT hiking in questions around deer hunting

nsm1548

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this will be my first year deer hunting and plan on hiking in a couple miles in hopes of getting away from the crowd. Planning on going between 7000-8500ft elevation. If any of you have advice around degree sleeping bag, tents, GPS ect… I’d sure appreciate any feedback or advice.

GoBears16

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So many variables to your question it would be hard to give solid advice. If I was going for the first time I would go “scout” this summer in the area and bring a 2 man tent with a 30-40degree bag and try one night out. See what works and doesn’t. At least in summer if it’s horrible experience the weather won’t be to bad. It also gets light early and you can hike out and figure out what would work the next time. You can read all you want (which I encourage you to do) but you really have to do it to see what works and doesn’t. Some guys can get by with a tarp and a quilt while some guys need a four season tent and 0 degree bag.

nsm1548

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Join rokslide forums and research there
So many variables to your question it would be hard to give solid advice. If I was going for the first time I would go “scout” this summer in the area and bring a 2 man tent with a 30-40degree bag and try one night out. See what works and doesn’t. At least in summer if it’s horrible experience the weather won’t be to bad. It also gets light early and you can hike out and figure out what would work the next time. You can read all you want (which I encourage you to do) but you really have to do it to see what works and doesn’t. Some guys can get by with a tarp and a quilt while some guys need a four season tent and 0 degree bag.
Thanks for the response, I have two weekends already selected to scout this summer both of which I’ll stay at least a night. I’ve done some reading and leaning towards a three season tent and maybe a 20 degree bag.
I do think I’ll want the GPS as I think there is a strong likelihood of going off trail. Trying to keep my load down but with optics and all the other items I figure that can be difficult. I’ve started a hiking/running and lifting routine to try to be in shape for a difficult task.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Filter, use it prior so you know operation and locate sources during your scout, water is heavy.
Jetboil and dehydrated stuff, it's surprisingly good.
Don't skimp on bedding, a tent maybe, but not bedding. It's an adventure as well as a hunt, sleep well.
I carry one other thing in my bag, for the celebratory kill, 750ml Buffalo Trace. It'll help ya sleep "better".

hunt'ngreen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like Steve said, plan your water source, and don't forget to camp bear smart, cache your food away from your tent, up off the ground, on a line. Don't need yogi rooting through your tent w/ you in it...lol.

GoBears16

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I have two weekends already selected to scout this summer both of which I’ll stay at least a night. I’ve done some reading and leaning towards a three season tent and maybe a 20 degree bag.
I do think I’ll want the GPS as I think there is a strong likelihood of going off trail. Trying to keep my load down but with optics and all the other items I figure that can be difficult. I’ve started a hiking/running and lifting routine to try to be in shape for a difficult task.
If you have a smart phone you have a gps already. You can download the maps to your phone and use gps even if you don’t have service. I use my phone for a lot of things that years ago took multiple items…. Look on rokslide and other forums for gear list and time of year. You’ll get a sense of items guys use that have done solo hunts and what they deem necessary. You can make it as comfortable or as miserable as you would like, all comes down to how much you want to carry.