OT hiking in questions around deer hunting

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A substitute for game bags are pillow cases.
Wallyworld sells a 4pack for $5 and they work well for packing out a boned animal. Drop the meat in, give it a twist a boom. You could fit a whole boned out buck in 4-5 pillow cases and they're cheap/easy.
I've used them for years and it works well.

Humboldt Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Inflatable air mattress! Put that on top of one of those accordion style mats to stop it from getting a hole. Game changer.
Or bring a kitchen bag and use it to gather pine needles. Lots and lots of pine needles. Either way works. And, are much better than waking up with a sore hip or shoulder all night.
A neoprene face mask, like the ones that snowboarders and skiers use. That coupled with a beanie at night for cold weather. If really cold, then open up a hand warmer or two and toss em into your sleeping bag.

Sprigger 04

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A word on game bags…Yellow jackets can chew holes in the fancy Kuiu bags which led to problems with ants getting in too. Never had that problem with cotton bags.

nsm1548

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Inflatable air mattress! Put that on top of one of those accordion style mats to stop it from getting a hole. Game changer.
Or bring a kitchen bag and use it to gather pine needles. Lots and lots of pine needles. Either way works. And, are much better than waking up with a sore hip or shoulder all night.
A neoprene face mask, like the ones that snowboarders and skiers use. That coupled with a beanie at night for cold weather. If really cold, then open up a hand warmer or two and toss em into your sleeping bag.
I was looking at an accordion style one but maybe I should think about adding a inflatable as well. Maybe I’ll give it a night at the house and see how it goes.

WaterFoulHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inflatables weigh too much if you’re backpacking. Remember, keep your weight minimal going in because you have to plan for the weight of the deer coming out.

nsm1548

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Inflatables weigh too much if you’re backpacking. Remember, keep your weight minimal going in because you have to plan for the weight of the deer coming out.
I’m definitely trying to be mindful of that. I have come to a conclusion that if I am lucky enough to have to pack a deer out that two trips is a very likely possibility.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely trying to be mindful of that. I have come to a conclusion that if I am lucky enough to have to pack a deer out that two trips is a very likely possibility.

Thermarest XTherm pad, buy once cry once. Hands down the best/most comfortable pad that’ll cover all temps that you can see.

Latest posts