California Flyway Forum Sponsors

OT: Inflation

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by fugewrk55, May 1, 2021.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I am pre-approved for 7 figure mortgage if I want one. 1.43% guaranteed until June 1st. I calculated that if I buy a house at 800,000 , put 25% down (200K), I then do not have to purchase mortgage insurance in Canada (CMHC guidelines), and the 600K amortized over 25 years , biweekly payments are a little under $1100 every 2 weeks. I would have the money invested, making in an average year , net 12%, so the interest on my investment will pay the mortgage and more, and I hold onto the principal.

There are a lot of baby boomers and DINKS (double income no kids) around who would easily fall into the same category, so money is cheap, and I want to move into a nicer home , and I have nothing else to spend my money on in times of the pandemic.

Housing will remain a hot market as long as these factors are in play. Had another place I was looking at sell for 90K over listing price. Driving me nuts.

If there was any kind of inflationary pressure, ie. interest rates going up into the 4 or 5% range, that would be catastrophic to a lot of people, with mortgages going up 50% or more from current.

2. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

It's a fools paradise

black&blueshoulder likes this.
  3. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

It won’t be

mak2782 likes this.
  4. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Elite Refuge Member

Just a friendly warning. :)

Study: Majority Of Americans Now Say It Is OK To Punch A Grammar Nazi

"U.S.—Is it O.K. to punch a grammar Nazi? This question has been floating around the internet after footage of an attack on a well-known, self-professed “grammatical purist,” Shawnton P. Middesmith, went viral on Friday.

According to a new study, the answer among Americans is an overwhelming “Absolutely.”

Link

marsh-mello and Brottboss like this.
  5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

It makes my Head hurt thinking about what people are willing to pay , these days for a home ! The inflationary increases I've heard are , un-real , it
    reminds me of 15/16 years ago before the bubble Burst ? I can't imagine paying todays prices (plus) with after tax dollars when overheads are going up
    so rapidly !

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Bang, you are my new financial advisor if you can avg a 12% net return for the next 20 years:grvnGonna be buyin' a duck club boys!!

Brottboss, Refugeguy and oleww like this.
  7. GoBears16

GoBears16 Senior Refuge Member

We sold our house in Concord before the election because of the uncertainty and knowing we were going to move before our kids started school anyways. I thought the prices would dip within 6 months but they’ve gone up 30-40% in the areas we are looking at. Houses in Danville and San Ramon were going 30-40% OVER asking price along with having over 30 offers and vast majority having zero contingencies. Told my wife we need to pump the breaks and keep renting for a few more years.

hindsight we shoulda held on for another 6 months at our last house, and made another 10-15% but we still sold at a healthy margin so don’t feel terrible. I’m really hope things implode and we can buy low in the next few years.

black&blueshoulder and mak2782 like this.
  8. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Why is grammar important?

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

marsh-mello, Refugeguy and API like this.
  9. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

that makes me a buyer in this hyper inflated market...... that's a HUGE NO THANK YOU.......

This is a bubble ... it will crumble.

10. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Truth. For a person who can afford a $3,000 monthly mortgage payment at current 30 year rates of 3.0% they can spend $890,000 on a home. At an 8% mortgage rate they can only afford a $511,000 home - a 43% decline in value. Heck even at 5% mortgage rates the value shrinks by 27% to $699,000.

mak2782 likes this.