Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Outdoor kennel

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by SEKhunter, Jan 8, 2021.

1. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

We put down our deposit on a chocolate female lab about a week ago, we get to pick her up the 17th of February. She will live indoors, I ordered a ruff tough intermediate kennel and will use it for transport as well. So I want an outdoor kennel here at home and at my farm for when I’m running tractors or the combine around. What size would be recommended to put up? Her mom is around 60 pounds. Thanks everyone

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

10x10 should be fine

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

I,ve made it thru several bird dogs and retrievers with 6' x 12' run with dog bx on outside end of 6'section. Covered of course to keep out sun and rain. Run my top tarps overlapping sides to within 3' of ground to give better shade and block wind blown rain/snow to large extend. Concrete floor . Actually built it as a double run as several times in past had a lab or chessy as well as shorthair or brittany.

Timber likes this.
  4. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

I think 6x12 is a great size, as mentioned above with the house on the outside. I've run this setup for over 25yrs.

5. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

SEKhunter, where are you located?

6. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Timber I live in Fort Scott Ks, we have recently purchased the family farm near Blue Mound Ks and have plans on building out there when the lumber prices come down

7. orangelegs73

orangelegs73 Refuge Member

I have a 10x5 Retriever kennel run (got it at TSC) that works well for my 7 month old YLM. Sides up to the back side of the house...cut a hole in the wall so the dog house is in the garage. Retriever has good options for sloping roof covers and roll-up side panels too. I've been very happy with it so far! And I also have the Ruffland intermediate...a great crate!

Enjoy your new hunting partner!

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Mine is 10x10. I built a sloped roof over it, tar paper and tarps. I made a mistake when I first put it down, didn't put any floor down. Dogs were digging out, bunnies were digging in. Last year I tore it all down, and laid hog panel on the floor. Covered that with gravel/dirt, which I top with shavings.

9. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

I have a 30 year old 12 X 6 outdoor kennel for 2 dogs with 2 houses.
    I sloped the 4" raised concrete slab so it is easy to hose out and everything drains down slope.
    The sloped slab has held up well over 30 years of extreme temps from -40s to 90s F.

10. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

I would place the house inside the kennel. Keeps other dogs from getting into the kennel. Why? Too easy for a dog to.jump on roof of outside house and then jump into kennel. If a bitch is in heat in the kennel you can be assured a Male will get in, nails the bitch and you will be left with an unwanted litter. Also, with house in kennel place some type of durable cover over the part of the kennel that is over the house. Will prevent dog inside from getting out by jumping in roof and then jumping over fencing. You would be surprised what a Male can and will do to get at a bitch in season.
    If you have a tractor supply store in your area check out their kennels. Various sizes, very well made and you can't beat the price. Just finished helping my pro trainer build a new kennel building and we installed 22 tractor supply kennels.