Outdoor Pizza Oven

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Rolen_Zen, Mar 22, 2019.

1. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I would like to build one this summer looking at making one from vermiculite and cement over a exercise ball. Seems easy enough

callinfowl likes this.
  2. sgmchef

sgmchef New Member

I always wanted to have a patio with an outdoor pizza oven...

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Silvia Apilinario

Silvia Apilinario New Member

I was also struggling with same question two weeks ago. then my buddy suggested me to buy wood fired oven. It is very easy to fit and use. i really happy to buy this. You can also try this one.

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Just saw this. Built one about 8 years ago. Can't remember who made the thing but we were able to get one shipped in. It was preformed and was in like 5 pieces. Assembled it looked like a dogloo. Pretty easy. It was the oven part. Build your own masonry around the outside of it, fill space in between with vermiculite.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Did you ever get this done? I have a spot on my patio that I want to do the same thing with.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

We need to see some pics of these things

7. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

I have one in the planning. I am not going traditional though. I have a brick fire box for my smokehouse. I plan to tear that down and build the entire 3' wide by 4' concrete slab in regular brick. Then add a perlite/mortar insulation under it. Then build a vaulted oven as the fire box. Build the outer brick walls up to match.

The space between the outer bricks and vaulted firebox will be packed with perliet/mortar. The center over the fire box with some brinks and mortar for heat mass. Then another layer of fire brick over that center mass with a hole in the back for exhaust from the fire box into the top oven. Another vaulted oven to be built on top of the other. Then the outter wall taller, insulated with perlite/mortar and capped with brick. The top vualted oven will have a chimney on the front end and lower than the top.

With this I can build a fire in the bottom and run the smoke house. It will exhaust through the oven and out the chimney warming up. I'll use 1/4" plate over the hole to the top oven as a heat release/damper.
    Top oven can have a fire built in it to heat it. Then coals can be pushed down the back hole to clean the oven like an ash dumb. I can throw chips on those coals if I wish to continue to smoke a chicken or meat in the op oven.

That is the plan for now. Maybe next spring if all goes well. Momma needs to geta job so she's not crying if I buy firebrick. :yes Smokehouse firebox ideas.jpg

tcc likes this.
  8. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

Making one in a village in Cambodia this year.

tcc likes this.
  9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Careful over there; a pastor friend of ours was on a mission trip over there several years ago and caught some sort of parasite--really messed him up. Forced him into retirement and he's had all sorts of medical issues since. Bad deal.
    Then on the other hand one of my wife's former interns has been a full time missionary there for a few years now and is doing great!

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Nice smokehouse; need to build one like that myself.