California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Over and under make/model...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by yellowlabhunter, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I think their greatest market share was in pistols and rifles ! I have a friend with a Ruger Red label in 28 ga with some choke tubes that has had less than
    3 flats through it.......if anyone is looking ? Nice Clean gun

freefall and yellowlabhunter like this.
  2. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

didn't know they did

3. Camocynergy

Camocynergy Refuge Member

Made the switch to O/U's a few years ago, have never looked back. If mostly for upland and clays, I would get a 20 gauge to be honest, especially if you opt for a browning. Citori's can be a little bulky in my opinion although the 725s buck that trend a little. However, Browning 20 gauges are nicely framed. The Cynergy's are decent guns as well, 12 gauges are slimmer than Citori's and a little front heavy, but you get used to it. I would opt for 30" barrels or 32", those will be about the same overall length of a 26" or 28" auto. Receivers on O/Us are much shorter than autos. Dual chokes gives you some added versatility as well. I do prefer Berettas though, slimmer frames, better balanced in my opinion, and the new Silver Pigeon III's are getting stellar reviews. Depending on budget, find a good used gun is the best option probably, or you are probably looking at around 3 grand for the decent production guns above. IMO, the sub 1k O/Us, aren't junk necessarily, but are pretty rough around the edges and will loosen up fast. As far as recoil goes, they are more abrupt and you get the energy all at once, but it also allows you to reset quicker for that 2nd shot. Every once in a while I will take the old auto out, but I find myself waiting on the bolt and trigger sometimes since it takes time for it all to reset versus an O/U. Its more like getting punched in the shoulder versus pushed. Another plus, is you don't have to chase down all your empties in the field either.

4. oleww

oleww Senior Refuge Member

much easier to pack an OU around. Less concern with muzzle awareness when it’s cracked over your shoulder too.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  5. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

Great information, thank you!

6. EQ Guy

EQ Guy New Member

If you are anywhere close to Morgan Hill go out to Coyote Valley Sporting Clays. They rent Browning and maybe Berreta's also. They often have used Citori's for sale for around $900.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Ok here's the Deal.......One friend has the 28 ga 26" the other has a 20 ga both have 26" barrels with choke tubes , the guns are in really
    good shape , I would say 95% plus the asking price is $1000. each......which is a fair price ! Serious buyers please as these fellas are old guys !

8. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

I'm a true believer in what feels good in my hands and mounts naturally. I've shot Browning O/U's for over 40 plus years , PM or call me always love talking about stackers

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

A gun light enough to carry all day for upland, would not be a great choice for clays... Recoil shooting pheasants is not too much of an issue due to the low volume of shooting, and lighter loads to shoot higher volumes for quail is not an issue either...

But I find those lighter "whipper" O/U's to be a poor choice for clays, and after shooting 100+ rounds, you do start to notice the recoil...

Dove shooting this year with steel, I found that those stout loads (1 1/8 oz at 1400 FPS) were far less pleasant to shoot than lead target loads. I switched from a Browning Citori for Waterfowl soon after shooting steel for ducks, and I will likely switch to the auto-loader for dove due to the recoil as well.

No doubt I shoot an O/U better, as long as the gun does not beat me up, but even if the recoil does not "seem" to bother you, I feel most people start to flinch with excessive recoil.

10. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

I’ve actually been thinking of getting rid of my clays gun. Barretta white onyx 686, with 32” barrels. Put a few thousand rounds through it. Have shot it maybe 5 times in the last 10 years though. For the amount of clays I shoot, I can just shoot a hunting auto gun.