California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Over and under make/model...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by yellowlabhunter, Oct 17, 2020.

1. macarny

macarny New Member

I’m left handed and been hunting with over and unders most of my 40 years hunting. Currently I use a Browning Cynergy 3.5 Camo version with 28 inch barrels, and a Browning Citori 3 inch with 30 inch barrels like both guns and have shot thousands of times without one problem,

freefall and yellowlabhunter like this.
  2. Doug Koepke

Doug Koepke Senior Refuge Member

I have a Browning Citori 12, with 28" 3" chambers. Had mine in the field once, found it to be quite heavy walking all day with. Now it's use for Clay's and once in a great white some doves or pigeons. My brother in law has a Wincgester, I believe it's a 101 with 30" ported barrels. Never again he said for the ported barrels. Both have thousands of rounds thru them, no problems so far. FYI: my Citori with 28" barrels is the same length as my SBE with 26" barrel.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  3. WJA302

WJA302 New Member

Love my Citori in 3" 20ga.

4. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

When I shot trap I just had to have a Citori , In the end I was never happy with the gun . Thats what happens when you impulse buy or cool club

5. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

:tu

6. Doug Koepke

Doug Koepke Senior Refuge Member

I won mine at a Pheasant Forever dinner. Best $40 dollar hat I've ever bought. I'll not lie it took about a month before I could hit any dam thing with it,, but it flows righ up works great now.

OGblackcloud likes this.
  7. BTJ

BTJ Refuge Member

these are all good guns. The best advice here is to shoulder them and see what fits best. They don’t have much operational difference, like how a gas and recoil auto do, so it comes down to fit. Buy what fits. If it’s a hunting gun it won’t get a ton of rounds through it so any will work. If you were shooting a lot the beretta and browning are legends of durability, but don’t think it matters as much. For upland hunting a light gun is nice. Try the different barrel lengths it makes a difference. If you aren’t tall a 26 barrel can be very nice. If you shoot a lot of clays in a lighter gun you will notice it. I wouldn’t bother with 3.5.

I personally have a beretta 686 in 28 which is dimensionally similar to my a400 in 26. I do shoot the a400 a lot more because it kicks far less and a duck blind is a risky place for OU unless you’re in nice blinds. When doing long pheasant hunts the 686 is much more of a pleasure. I shoot slightly better with it also.

buy what fits. Or have a gunsmith see to it that it does.

8. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Shot a Belgian made browning o/u 20g for more than 30 years. The imposition of steel shot convinced me to go to a 12 gage. Went in to buy a Citori. The salesman convinced me to shoulder a Ruger for comparison. It was so superior in fit that I bought the Ruger. Some years later I bought a Ruger 20 for upland.

freefall and yellowlabhunter like this.
  9. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Ruger over unders are the worst shotguns I have ever brought up to my shoulder.... I fully understand why they dont make them anymore...

10. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Interesting. I love the way they shoulder. Far superior to the Citori for me.

freefall, mak2782 and yellowlabhunter like this.