California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Over and under make/model...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by yellowlabhunter, Oct 17, 2020.

1. LeakyW8ers

LeakyW8ers Senior Refuge Member

A lot of info in this thread.

1. Shotgun fit. If a gun fits, it hits. No matter what you spend a gun that does not fit is not going to hit your target. A gun that fits also will have less felt recoil as well.
    2. Barrel length, for hunting upland, 26" or 28" barrels are going to be lighter to carry all day, but as has been said the trade off is once you go to the sporting clays range 100 rounds in a couple hours is going to be felt. Maybe not at the moment, but over time. Recoil is accumulative to developing a flinch.
    3. Brand - sometimes you get what you pay for. a $400 Pointer, vs a $2000+ Beretta, Browning, etc. There is a noticeable difference in quality, workmanship, and available parts for repairs if needed.

Coyote Valley has rental Citori White Lightnings (cheaper fee). They also have demo guns (more expensive fee) in the gun room (Berettas and Brownings), and if you decide to make a purchase, they will deduct the demo fee off the price. If I remember correctly, Birds Landing has Demo Guns (Browning, Caesar Guerini, Beretta?) that you can rent and shoot as well (same deal with the demo fee coming off the purchase price). These are going to be clays guns, for the most part. These are the only 2 places locally (Bay Area) that I am aware of that have demo/rental guns.

If you want to try out some higher end Over/Unders on November 12-15 the California State Sporting Clays Championship will be held at Quail Point. I am 99% sure that Elite Shotguns will have their trailer with Zoli, Kolar (American Made), and possibly Kreighoff shotguns to demo. But being those start at a $7000 price point, and go way up from there, that may be a bit excessive for an upland gun and occasional clays.

Keep in mind, if you can't find one that fits off the shelf, it is possible to get the gun fitted, but plan on spending anywhere from $300 and up to get the gun fitted to you.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of over/unders out there and there's a seat for every butt. But the seat that fits yours, may not be the same as what fits the other guys. I have shot a number of different brands in the last 11 years, and I know what fits me and my style of shooting. What fits you and your style will most likely not match exactly.

freefall and yellowlabhunter like this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Some say Ruger's kick like a Mule , this is where gunfit makes a difference to ones size and shape ! Guys who are tall and lanky maybe need to lengthen
    the LOP while short pudgy guys might have to shorten the LOP , it's all how the gun fits ! A decision on make and model can't be made by hearsay , check
    them out yourself !

freefall likes this.
  3. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

W T H

........you never shot one of the older red labels from the 80's. Fine fowling piece.

Rugers are set up for tall folks with full size arms tho so .....

4. mak2782

that all said, I really really like my Beretta 690. Went with the upgraded lumber. Hell of a gun almost too pretty to shoot tho.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Now that is a real gun...

6. Flyfisher

Maybe you guys have heard of this company? They have been around since 1526.... so.....

7. Flyfisher

Criticism
    Criticism of the Red Label included complaints about the weight of the shotgun, poor balance when swinging the gun onto a flying target, poor fit of the metal to wood on some examples, and loose (rattling) sighting ribs. Many shooters disliked the automatic safety (which could be disabled by the factory if requested by the owner.[6]). :no

freefall likes this.
  8. Flyfisher

....Built proudly in the USA....:l:l:l:l

freefall likes this.
  9. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

I have a Beretta 682 that I bought used as a backup gun and had double release triggers installed. Shot one box of shells through it. Excellent gun for someone who can grow new toes quickly.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  10. mak2782

Must be tough crying on the googles about lifting a 6.5 lb piece of American steel. My son has no issue with it. Hes 8.

freefall likes this.