California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Over and under make/model...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by yellowlabhunter, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

That was written by Ruger employees. They now work at Chico's Bail Bonds...

yellowlabhunter and OGblackcloud like this.
  2. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Go down to Kittles and buy one if you are in love with it. Look for the one with 23 years of dust on it...

freefall likes this.
  3. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

aint no guns left at kittles, folks are even buying the CZ's they're so desperate.

freefall likes this.
  4. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Dont be a hater

5. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

You have been given some pretty sound advice.

my 2cents.........
    I have bought cheap O/Us and I have bought pricey O/Us.
    I have a cheap stoeger 12ga condor that sees use in a duck blind for early teal and wood duck, and whatever else I do, that I don’t worry about a gun getting beaten up. ($300-$400). It is heavy, and feels bulky.But it goes bang. Would NOT recommend as your one and only.

I have 2 CZ (12 & 20 ga). These are a step up from the stoeger condor. But would not classify them as a fine O/U. ( mine are in the middle of the CZ lineup).

I have a cheap Charles Daly ( won at a raffle). It is not the Charles Daly’s of the 50s,60s or 70s.

I have 2 Browning Citoris (12 and 20). My 20 sees the most use of ALL my guns (including semi autos). Dove, pheasant, quail, etc.... rounds of clays (recreational).

I carried a family members Ruger Red Label 12 ga ( early 80s Model???). While it was a nice gun, I preferred my brownings.

Had a Winchester 101, 12 ga. It was a nice gun and came in second behind my brownings.

Family member has an Ithaca, that I am hoping finds it’s way to me in the future.

If I buy another O/U, it will be the Browning waterfowl version.
    As you can see, I mainly focus on the field use and not the clays/skeet/trap events.

My recommendation- Browning Citori 20 ga, 28” barrels ( or 30 if can find them)
    Light enough to carry all day, stout enough with the right shells ( I prefer the golden pheasant shells for upland) to accomplish what you want.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Doug Koepke and yellowlabhunter like this.
  6. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

You'll sell it....then later you'll be like Rave.....shouldn't have sold it.

freefall likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have a Red Label (had four at one time), a Citori, and a 682. For a combo waterfowl gun and occasional target gun, a Citori CX would be hard to beat. The Red Label is to light for duck loads, the 682 is too costly to beat around in a marsh.
    I'd stay away from the Turkish O/U's (CZ, TriStar, Stoeger, etc.) if I were you. I had a TriStar Setter for about a month and was happy, happy, happy to sell it.

oleww likes this.
  8. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

Lots of folks knock the Turkish guns ( stoeger condor and CZ guns).
    I think the ones that do, are comparing them to fancier guns from other makers ( which come with pricier price tags). Of course these guns will never last as long as fancier guns, before a problem arises. That is when the pain begins.

I think if someone gets one knowing that they are a cheap no frills, guns.
    Like buying an F150 XL work Truck, compared to an F150 Platinum.

It is a truck but a BIG difference.

The Turkish guns are for folks “who don’t want to spend a lot of money on a gun they may not like”. Unfortunately, that thinking, pushes lots of folks away from O/Us because that is their only experience.

For a first time buyer, my recommendation would be nothing below ( quality wise).......
    A used Browning Citori, Winchester 101, Ruger Red label. Shoot them, like them, buy a fancier gun, then your used O/U gets relegated to field use, or backup/loaner gun.

As someone else stated. Go to a range, go sit and watch. Introduce yourself and ask to try their gun ( pay for the shells).

My Cheaper guns get used, and if get dinged, oh well.
    I know they are not as good as my pricier guns.

But as a kid, I also killed lots of game with a Stevens 311 sxs, 20ga.
    When others were shooting fancy 1100s and 870s.
    One day, another cheap 311 will find it’s way to me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Doug Koepke likes this.
  9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

I never realized 1100's and 870's were "fancy" guns.

At my age, I've concluded that a few quality pieces trumps a boat load of blue light specials.

Tuleman and Ravenanme like this.
  10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

But they are Scott , they are like the energizer Bunny , they keep on shooting !
    The Perazzi , Krieghoff , 3200's , Mod 12's , Citori's and Fabarms I have are just for show , until they come out for killing something !
    You have got to like what you're shooting , some have had Tate's fitting , while others have all the bells and whistles for adjustment !