Overlander Update-offroad trailer

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well I havent posted an update in a while because I haven't really done much to it lately. We have decided to go in a new direction.

We were never really happy with the sleeping situation. We tried a number of different options but none were overly comfortable. Also this last elk season we ended up managing water in the tent. Understandable when you have 2 inches dump on you in a night, but not acceptable when you have multiple days left in your trip. So we decided to build an offroad trailer. We thought about getting a utility trailer and building from scratch but then I started seeing enclosed cargo trailer conversions on youtube and was hooked.

My plan was to get a 6x10 and build it out but this trailer showed up on the market. It was someone doing that very project and got a distance down the road and decided to go a new direction(wife influenced I believe because he had a full sized camp trailer lol). But they did some of the expensive and difficult bits leaving the fun stuff for me to finish, So I picked it up on Tuesday.

It is a 5x10. Torsion axels, extended tongue, and windows all from the factory. 4 leveling jacks already installed. Guy I bought it from achieved the big wheels (to match his jeep() with spacers and then had custom fenders made with storage and table tops. You can stand on the fenders. I have a friend who buys military trailers and gets them nice for jeeps and sells them, so I may change out the spacers wheels and tires for ones that match my suburban. Then
trailer 1.jpg
trailer 3.jpg
trailer 6.jpg
trailer 8.jpg

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This looks like a fun project. I like the idea of matching trailer wheels to that of the prime mover. My trailer tires dry rot before they wear out. Would be nice to rotate some worn tires off the truck and onto the trailer.

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Especially on this rig, because It can only handle 3500lbs. so you would never really stress those tires.

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looking at something like this for the galley. Minus the radio. Really when I am camping listing to someone else's "tunes" is just stupid. Stay home and play your music loud. I am camping to get away from that nonsense.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.15.07 AM.png

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I put a refrigerator and a cabinet in. A garbage can and a 6 way outlet with a cord. Throw in an army cot, couch cushions, pillows and my bag and I'm stylin'..
Why does that look so short?
Resized_20220407_085850.jpeg

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It is short. Not made to stand up in. The taller ones don't really do great as offroad trailers as you can tip them over. Shorter is better if you are doing washouts. The only time I am "in it" will be to sleep. I already have a truck fridge that I will just wire in.

HaydenHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Exciting project. Keep us posted as you progress, just like you did with the Suburban.

I am envious, having just come back from almost two weeks in South Dakota sleeping in the back of my truck. Brutal proposition on those sub-20 degree nights where the wind is 20+. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I plan to make it an annual deal. I have to up my game for next year so I will be following your thread.

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Will do! Much of the stuff that I did to the Suburban (awnings and heater etc.) will transfer right over. However, I am going to keep the Suburban as is so that If I wished I could either use the Suburban or the trailer. I suspect that the Suburban will not be used much for camping (like we have been doing).

In the weather you need one of these. I largely followed this plan (minus the quick connects). I can tell you it is awesome to have a thermostat and portable furnace to carry around. Definitely worth the considerable money.

HaydenHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In the weather you need one of these. I largely followed this plan (minus the quick connects). I can tell you it is awesome to have a thermostat and portable furnace to carry around. Definitely worth the considerable money.
I had a small generator and a milk house heater, which would quickly run you out of the truck bed / camper shell. With the rheostatic thermostat set on a low setting, the thing would frequently cycle on and off for very short periods of time, which I found irritating. So I would get the space nice and warm and turn off the heater. Three or four times a night I would wake up cold, blast the heater for three or four minutes and then go back to sleep. Not an optimal situation.

Latest posts