Pack Trip Recommendations

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Matapatos, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Matapatos

Matapatos Senior Refuge Member

My buddy and I are planning a 3-4 day pack trip with horses... We wanna fish and just ride. The less rocky the trails the better, but we're open for anything. Originally I was thinking the uintahs, but my buddy is within a year or two of drawing a Wasatch elk so that came up, too. Anyone know any good trailheads to start at where we can ride in 4-6 miles and camp out with good fishing? Thanks, in advance!

2. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

Stay away from the south slope of the uintas if you don't want to encounter many rocks. Pick any drainage or canyon on the north slope. Plenty of good fishing and not to long of rides. Can be pretty rocky though. Don't know anything about the wasatch.

3. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for, especially the fishing part, on the Wasatch. There are places that fit the bill, but I would stick to the Uintas for what you described.

If you want to just ride your horse and camp looking for elk, there are tons of places on the Wasatch to do it.

4. Matapatos

Thank you! That helps a ton... Will the north slope be more crowded or will we be good since we're headed farther on ponies?

5. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

You should be fine. The only area I've seen get real busy on a weekend is up the Henry fork drainage as folks are there to climb kings peak. Other than that there is plenty of room back in a few miles. Some trails get busy, but not to bad at all.

6. goatter

goatter New Member

I hiked to Alsop lake a couple of years ago. Our group did not see another person the whole trip and the fish were rising across the lake. The trail head starts near the East Fork of the Bear Boy Scout Camp. The trail is relatively flat.

7. wtrdog

wtrdog Senior Refuge Member

you ought to go down to the Boulders. Plenty of places to ride, and incredible fishing opportunities. Just a thought.

8. Matapatos

So we went... I talked to a guy at the DWR and he said the Dry Fork trail would be great. Those poor horses, thats a trail I'll never take horses on again. the last 2 miles were a haul up that mountain over boulders and through the stream bed. Once up there we had a great meadow with plenty of feed for the horses at Round Lake. The fishing there was decent, but Sand Lake just above and Fish Lake above that were much better. Fish Lake had larger fish and it was nearly every cast with a black and fly and bubble. Sand Lake was every cast but 5-7 inchers. 99% of what we caught were Grayling, the rest were cutthroat. On the way out we led the horses for a bit, as it was pretty rough.
    All in all a really fun trip, but way too rocky for my ponies! 4 Miles is something I can do on foot, but we did eat better than we would have at home! Bacon, eggs, french toast, stew, and Mountain Dew! I'm not packing all that on my back... So that was the trip!