Paint for Plasti Duk inflatables

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I found a few pintails and mallards that need some attention. Anyone with experience know what type of paint would work best on these?

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I just use flat exterior latex paints. The rubber holds paint well. I have a lot , repainted all of mine two years ago.
Thank you.

How did you prep them? I've painted hundreds of decoys but never anything rubber.

My main concern is with past experiences with soft plastic decoys and collapsables having the paint flake off. Some paints got hard and cracked and then flaked off when the bodies flexed and other paints lost the bond and peeled away.

Any more help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I tried flocking some old rubber inflatable goose decoys. I thought for sure the flocking would come off. They sat that way for 2 years before I gave them away. I never hunted them but I also never saw any flocking come off.

I would think rusteleoum would do well. I cleaned mine like crazy and did use a primer if I remember right.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I tried flocking some old rubber inflatable goose decoys. I thought for sure the flocking would come off. They sat that way for 2 years before I gave them away. I never hunted them but I also never saw any flocking come off.

I would think rusteleoum would do well. I cleaned mine like crazy and did use a primer if I remember right.
You just reminded me that I have 10 or 12 of the Canadas as well. Thanks.

pumpgunner

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

How did you prep them? I've painted hundreds of decoys but never anything rubber.

My main concern is with past experiences with soft plastic decoys and collapsables having the paint flake off. Some paints got hard and cracked and then flaked off when the bodies flexed and other paints lost the bond and peeled away.

Any more help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I use kaboom bathroom cleaner. Then scrub them with kitchen gloves and hose off. I just paint over the existing paint. I have some I just picked up out of the water yesterday in my truck. I’ll take a pic tomorrow.

for sprig I use the dark brown camo paint in rattle can for the head. Flat black brush on for the back and tail. Flat Swiss coffee “white” for the white parts and a flat grey paint and primer rattle can. Goes quick.

pumpgunner

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
E4C2F626-B1CA-4BF6-AB92-F72636DFA9A0.jpeg
4B188D55-24FC-4EAC-98DA-2041AD1BB4D6.jpeg

Painted these 3 years ago. Left out for 100 day season. Will repaint the white if they are in the spread next year.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score