Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Paint ideas

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Nathan h, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Nathan h

Nathan h New Member

I just got a 12 ft Jon boat was wondering what kind of paint to use and were to find stencils

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Olive drab green paint from Parkers or Lock Stock and Barrel. Forget the stencils / camo.

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Petit also makes a good marine paint. The key is the prep work, then a coat of self-etching primer for bare aluminum, then final coat (or two).

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I've found that the expensive marine paints aren't necessary. If you perform a good prep job and properly primer the hull.....which you'll want to do no matter what paint you use.....you can utilize easy-to-use/easy-to-clean high quality exterior latex house paint. It's very durable, not expensive, and you can easily touch it up every couple of years if necessary. It's also available in any town/city/village and in virtually ANY color or flatness you desire. It's all I've used for the last thirty years.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

If you want to do a stencil job on hull simply get creative and make some from tag board or even old pizza bxs. Cut out with razor or exacto knife. Make a couple sets so one can dry as your using other. Rustoleum camo paint available at Walmart works good as your stencil paint. The key to any paint job on an aluminum boat is prep. Several tutorials on u tube. I have used parkers shot with a spray gun & thinned 10% with excellent results over the years.

MJ1657 likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Sherwin Wiliams
    Damn near every new
    OD green duck boat that come off the lot are painted with ex latex.
    I know Go devil and Pro drive boats uses Sherwin Williams Ex latex with a flatter added to it by Sherwin Williams.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about GoDevil or ProDrive but many of the custom mud boats including GatorTrax use Sherwin-Williams KEM400, which is a solvent-borne metal finishing coating that is way different from exterior latex and has to be purchased through their Professional Finishes division and limited store locations. And yes, the stuff is usually 25% gloss I think but is knocked down to 3% sheen with flatting additive. I believe the solvent for this coating is Toluol. It sprays like a dream though the proper equipment.

8. Nathan h

Nathan h New Member

Thanks for all the answers

9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Nope, the stuff they use is regular old EX Latex.:yes:yes:yes

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I recommend looking at the area you plan to hunt. Not much is OD Green in my area. Coyote Brown is in my opinion, a much better color at matching a lot of different terrains.

dog duck gun and Tuleman like this.