Pancreatic cancer - what to expect?

huntersdad

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My mom (72 years old) was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer last week. She’ll have an endoscopic CT Thursday to verify and see where it’s at and where it’s spread to.

My dad had prostate cancer - radiation then prostate removal. So not exactly the same.

She’s been struggling physically for the last couple years with fibromyalgia and kidney infections. Did a CT scan at a home and garden show and they found it.

What should I expect at this point? They’re talking chemo for 6 months and then possibly surgery. While I would never say it to mom, I can’t see them ever doing the surgery as I think her health over the last couple years would rule her out as simply too risky.

Is there anything I can do to help her or prepare my stepdad at this point? Just prayers and positive energy?

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
6 months of chemo is going to be a steep uphill climb especially if it's frequent like once a week. Prayers to both of you. Helping her stay positive no matter how bad it gets is one of the best things you can do for her. The battle has a lot to do with her outlook.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not much good goes with pancreatic, its excruciating and for the most part fatal, I'm sorry.
My mom passed two months ago, 93yo, lower intestinal twisting bloated her real bad with heavy pain constantly.
My siblings and I all went daily to visit and spend time.
My sister introduced coloring books and crayons to pass time, mom seemed to pass time in a more relaxed cognizant manner. Took her mind off reality and lived for the moment, she passed in pain but knew her kids were there, coloring.
Do for her what she would do for you, make the best of your time together.

salthunter

Reaction score
I had a long ago girl friend die from pancreatic cancer. I suspect you understand whats going to take place and what ever else is coming.

My dad died from lung cancer , my brothers were at our parents about 3-8 hours everyday. Actually pretty good family time, time well spent.

Prayers for peace on comfort!

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. My advice since I’m pretty much over my cancer battle and was nowhere as bad off as your mom will get….go spend time with her. Even if it’s just sitting in the same room and watching tv. Let her control the pace of what goes on. Get paperwork updated and in line now, she won’t be able to do that simple type of stuff once the chemo kicks in. Once on chemo, do whatever you can to get calories into her. I never lost my appetite to eat but it became very specific day to day on what I wanted.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's a hard ride thru hell for the patient.
Their spouse drives the cart.
That's the very best description I've heard of cancer treatment.
I drove the cart.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m a board certified anesthesiologist who has lost an aunt and uncle to pancreatic cancer. The aunt who died first lasted about a year and my uncle was diagnosed a couple of years later had surgery and held on for 5 years. He was in good/great health prior to his diagnosis.

My standard to anyone across the board diagnosed who asks is you have less than a year anything else is bonus you shouldn’t plan on having. Get your affairs in order and make sure your family knows how you feel about them.

num70

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine beat it.
It's possible.
(I'm not sure the stage he was in when they detected it.)
I realize that the prognosis isn't good, but it's getting better and it is possible to win.
Fight like hell to see the absolute best people you can.