Park City (Deer Valley) week of April 3, 2016

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Stranglehold, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Stranglehold

Stranglehold Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys,

Looking for some experienced advice about Park City ski conditions and typical weather for the time frame of April 3 week.

Is there typically still plenty of fresh snow on the ground?

Is that nearing the end of the "good season" ?

What's weather typically like then?

Wife and I are planning a trip out there and her bday is April 7, so would be cool to celebrate out there - if it makes sense.

We've been to Deer Valley and really liked it. Also skied Alta. That was a lot of fun too.

I'm open to suggestions and local experience as to where to ski, where to stay in park city, etc.

2. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

I stoppped skiing a while ago, but I used to ski in April in short pants. It is nearing the end of the ski season. No one can know what the conditions will be, but Park City usually has snow in early April and Alta will have snow until May most years. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure there are others on here willing to share their knowledge.
    R

3. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

4. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

The Park City ski resorts usually close around the 2nd or 3rd week in April. However every once in awhile they close early due to lack of snow. It's impossible to tell right now although the odds are that they will be open. Alta will still be open, as will Snowbird. (And Brighton and Solitude.) A few years ago Snowbird had some runs open until the 4th of July. That was a crazy year. As for the weather conditions, it varies that time of year, you will most likely be skiing icy conditions in the morning and those conditions turn slushy throughout the day. You can often ski in a t-shirt. However it is also possible that we will be getting storms and you will have great snow. It is not completely unusual to be skiing in a t-shirt and 60 degree weather one day, and the next day skiing a couple feet of powder while wearing mid winter gear. We're all hoping for a lot of snow this year because recent years have been lean. Because of the position of the ski resorts in relation to the sun that time of year, Alta and Snowbird will probably have the best ski conditions. But you really aren't going to know for certain until a week or so before you come out here.

5. wtrdog

wtrdog Senior Refuge Member

Both these repsonses are accurate. Having grown up skiing the Park City area i can't recall a year when the snow was great in April. It's totally spring skiing ice and slush. Even the other resorts are in the same boat, but at least they might be open. As was mentioned, Park City is usually closing around the middle of April, but don't let that sway your coming out as the town is still active and alot of fun and you never know what mother nature is going to throw at us. ;)