Part 2. What do you use or recommend to protect your vehicle in a deer collision?

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Winch and winch bumper. I’d be more likely to swerve into a ditch to avoid a deer and need it to get out.

da grouch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great truck! Congrats on it! I like the idea of the big bumpers but for a once in a lifetime full frontal collision, let insurance handle it. Remember the deer you see in the road is not the one that will run into the side of you. I never swerve too many large trees and poles that will put you in ICU, hammer down, it reduces the risk of impact through the windshield.

Steelteamsix

Refuge Member
Reaction score
If it can happen, it will happen. 65mph right through the grille. Had the truck 10 days, every airbag deployed. Havent found out if its totaled or not

Attachments

• 20210523_022754.jpg
    20210523_022754.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Suppose you deer proof the truck and hit one that damages the expensive custom cage.
You call Flo and she laffs her big butt off.
Not covered.

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That part in bold is the problem. You pay for quality. Go too cheap, and you basically have aluminum foil for a guard. Before you buy, go to a truck accessory shop and touch/feel the options.

I was looking for a guard for my 2013 F-150. I was reading reviews and such, and came across a review on a Westin model. Guy was from TX, and said he had hit 22 deer with his bumper, with no damage to his truck.
Now, first, the guy is an idiot, and needs to slow down. But, 22 deer? No damage? I am sold.

The cheaper ones will probably guard your actual grill area, but the 'wings' are gonna fold back and damage the truck.

View attachment 293256

I hit 9 with my 2005 F150 (hit 1st 45 minutes after buying it). Only damage was to the hood and roof, where a buck flipped up, and the hooves and antlers scratched the paint. ( he landed in the bed).
On my 2017 F150, I had pretty serious damage to front end. But truck was driveable.

On my next one, will be going a little more “stouter” ( where factory bumper is replaced by new grill/bumper assembly) than the Westin on the last 2.

speed was not the factor.
I live in a semi rural area. Woods reach right up to the roadway. Additionally, I don’t swerve. If they jump out, they get hit straight on.( better than going off the road and striking a tree, or having a rollover from the ditch, or going into on coming traffic and a head on.)

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hit 9 with my 2005 F150 (hit 1st 45 minutes after buying it). Only damage was to the hood and roof, where a buck flipped up, and the hooves and antlers scratched the paint. ( he landed in the bed).
On my 2017 F150, I had pretty serious damage to front end. But truck was driveable.

On my next one, will be going a little more “stouter” ( where factory bumper is replaced by new grill/bumper assembly) than the Westin on the last 2.

speed was not the factor.
I live in a semi rural area. Woods reach right up to the roadway. Additionally, I don’t swerve. If they jump out, they get hit straight on.( better than going off the road and striking a tree, or having a rollover from the ditch, or going into on coming traffic and a head on.)
Play that I swerved to avoid hitting a deer tape a bit further.
You swerved, missed deer, rolled truck, but you're OK.
Johnny law will say "I don't see any deer are you high?".

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
a few years ago , I hit 5 deer in 2 1/2 years with my pathfinder, and replacing the bumper twice. After that, I put an ARB winch bumper on it, and it protected my car adequately.

After I got rid of that vehicle, I bought a new enclosed trailer for decoys. I was driving it on its maiden voyage, and swerved to miss a deer 5 miles from camp ( directly across from Marian McCullum's deer camp. ) I missed the deer with my SUV. but it ran straight into the gravel guard on my trailer, and went through the tandem axel /wheels. it tore the fender off, and bent the axel and damage the brakes. It was about $1200 in damages.:(

da grouch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
^ those are the stories I yield by, never swerve and hammer down...great insight, thank you. Great to hear that the "cattle guard" bumpers are worth it for most people, something you all just taught me...