Decoy Forum Sponsors

Pattern question (carving)

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:29 PM.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

F73C4E11-267B-432B-A40A-10FFB2B24EAC.jpeg
    Looking for some feedback from the carvers here of the forum. I have spent the evening drawing up a snow goose pattern. Admittedly I found the bill shape in William Veasey’s Waterfowl Painting book and verified that it was lifesized with Bruce Burk’s Game Bird Carving. That said I drew the rest of the head and neck from reference photos. 9058B7D3-58CC-43B4-AFC2-09E5D3352E6D.jpeg I am going to pair it with my cackling goose body. I want it to be a life size bird. So many of the patterns that you find out there are 110-115% so I am trying to make at least some of mine more true to size. Might crown it an 1/8”-1/4” higher at the shoulders but don’t want to go larger.

What are your thoughts? And I way out in the parking lot on this one or am I at least in the ballpark?

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

It looks great, is it going in your rig or shelf ? If it is going in your rig I think it is overkill. My Snow rig consists of silhouettes and rags. If it were me I would put my time in on something more practical.

3. Neighbor Guy

This one will float maybe once or twice and then likely find a shelf.

Call it a trophy of sorts.

This past Sunday we hunted over the hand carved diver rig. No plastic at all, a mixed rig of coots, Buffleheads, hooded mergansers, redheads, Scaup, goldeneyes, ringnecks, and a Canvasback. All made of cedar and cork.

One of the birds we pulled that day was a lonely juvenile snow. Not that special of a score in the big picture of things, but I can count on two fingers the number of snow geese we have decoyed over the years. Looking at it in the boat I was taken by the coloration. The last one we got a couple years ago was a pure white adult. Not nearly as neat to look at as the much more grey juvenile. So I figured it would be a good way to preserve the memory to put its likeness in the spread. And to be honest, sometimes you need an excuse for a project.

4. Neighbor Guy

E1A68C12-C548-432E-9606-939E599B8C77.jpeg View attachment 223698
    It seemed a reasonable and unique challenge. I’m already the only person I know who has hooded mergansers decoys in his spread. Why not a lost and lonely snow goose?

Attached Files:

goodluck likes this.
  5. Phil in MO

Phil in MO Elite Refuge Member

Nice nail polish...

goosenazi and creedsduckman like this.
  6. Neighbor Guy

Ha!!! Thanks Phil.... I told my daughter to get some pictures. Purples not really my color.

Phil in MO likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The head on that snow is too snake-like. Snows have heads that are more rounded. The bill is okay, just the head shape is off. Look at more reference photos.

8. Neighbor Guy

Thanks. I have adjusted to add some more crown to the top of the head/forehead.