Patterning = OCD

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, May 23, 2020.

1. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

What I have learned in this area is I must take my time, make sure my head stays down, mount the stock in the pocket versus on my bicep or shoulder and follow through with my cheek down. When I do this, my shotguns fit. The only adjustment I make is to reverse the safety. If the shotgun comes in a neutral configuration, it’s all good for me.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

So for the guys that pattern their guns. Do you shoot 10 or 100 of each shell type and average the performance or do you assume one load of loosely and randomly packed mostly spherical objects in a somewhat consistent cylindrical shape will always act in the same manner?

3. Waxed Canvas

I am new at this but for what it is worth, I shoot a whole box of a given shell to pattern my shotgun. I may not shoot the entire box on the same day but I base my conclusions off of multiple patterns.

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

25 -100 rounds!!!! I shot 5 of each shells w/the choke I want to use, beer thirty!

5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

3 to 5 w/each choke restriction I try. Usually thats enough to give a good idea of whats going on. Some don,t like to change pattern paper after each shot, I prefer to.

Tuleman and OneShotBandit like this.
  6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Good gun mounting is paramount to good wing shooting. But for shooting patterns that's better accomplished off a bench rest so that gun mount is taken out of equation.

Sunklands and OneShotBandit like this.
  7. Waxed Canvas

I use the Bench at our range but every time I pick up a shotgun now, my first thought is technique.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

These are my beliefs also. 3 is enough, 5 is better to be sure, but more than that is overkill. I only put one pattern on a page.

Of course not. I like you you put generalities like 'loosely and randomly', and then equate it to 'consistent and same'.
    But, to your point, laws of probability will tell us that with 3-5 shots at a given distance and with a given choke, you have narrowed the subsequent 'hunting' patterns to within 5%. Other factors can, of course, come into play. Wind, humidity, altitude, temperature, they all can be a factor.

The key, IMO, is not so much finding what works 'best', since best is something you are measuring on a 2 dimensional piece of paper, and using it in a 3 dimensional shooting situation. It is more important to find out what doesn't work.

As an example, many here have found that 'fast' and 'large' pellets through a tight choke have many holes in the pattern. Slower might be better. Less choke might be better. Patterning will tell you that.

OneShotBandit and Waxed Canvas like this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Why?
    A pattern is a pattern, no matter where it is on the paper.
    Proper patterning is placing a dot on the paper as an aiming point, but then disregarding it when comes time to draw the circle. Look at the pattern, decide where the 'center' is, and then draw your circle.
    When we did the Roster Seminar, they gave us 30" plexiglas circles, with a handle in the middle. You moved the circle till it covered the most pellets, then drew the circle in with a pen. Then do your count.

If you can't get the pellets to center on to a 40" x 40" piece of paper, you got other problems besides your pattern.

Tuleman likes this.
  10. Waxed Canvas

I actually to both. Some on the bench and some free handed as if I were water swatting a Duck.