Patterning = OCD

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, May 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Some pattern drawings from the Seminar...
    Expert 35 yards I-C 142 Hits.JPG Blindside I-Mod 54 hits 40 yrds.JPG Kents 2s 40 yards Mod 122 hits.JPG

OneShotBandit and Waxed Canvas like this.
  2. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I never patterned my guns until about 8 or 10 years ago . And I’ll say this . Ive become a better wingshot since I started patterning my guns .

POA/POI is especially important to know . The size of your pattern is important to know at various distances . Everyone thinks they need a super duper aftermarket choke , but Basketball size patterns at decoying ranges stink .

I know my ranges better and what I can expect and can’t expect out of my shotguns at those ranges by the size and density of the pattern . It doesn’t give me all the answers .. obviously .. but it gives you a great base of knowledge .

Ironic you posted this today because I just got back from patterning fifteen 10gauge loads .

Morale of the story is I really enjoy target shooting with firearms and patterning is just another form of recreational target shooting with a splash of science .

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I'd give the same response.

What you don't know, you don't know.

I have run into people who had a rifle boresighted and were happy with it as well.

Waxed Canvas and THEIRCOMMITED10 like this.
  4. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

My eyes have been opened. I guarantee you my success percentage will be up simply by knowing what shots to take or not take.

Tuleman and THEIRCOMMITED10 like this.
  5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Did they become vegetarians?

Waxed Canvas likes this.
  6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The HTL pellets pattern the most consistent, shot-to-shot of any pellet ever used. You get consistent grouping of the pellets unlike steel patterns that are often all over the place when it comes to pellet dispersion, shot-to-shot.

7. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

They stopped by the grocery store a lot.

Waxed Canvas and JP like this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yep But , there're more steel pellets in a given load so , when you manage to reload one that your gun / choke likes.......and you stay within its ability , steel shot
    is hard to beat if you can shoot straight ? I agree , heavier shot flies farther and hits harder but the #1 question is , the shooters ability to benefit from it ?
    Inside of 50 yds for Ducks Steel is cheaper and is very adequate ! Shooting Geese or using a small bore gun HTL trumps all !

9. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There are some interesting facts the ballistians have figured out for us , in what type of shot material (should) work best for Waterfowling .
    Even though we pattern our loads , there's a percentage factor , our gun/choke will show us and with these patterns 65/70% is relatively , Dang Good !
    With so many fellas liking #4/0.130" shot in steel , let's take a look at it ballistic abilities ? At 43 yds it's traveling 643 fps with a muzzle velocity of 1550
    and at that yardage you would have 1.16" of penetration on Duck size birds . Even though steel being 7.8 g/cc , far less than Lead Shot at 11.2 g/cc , it
    still can be very effective . With a (1) oz load steel 4's having 190 pellets , whereas lead has 135 and if you shoot HTL 125 pellets . Now the point I'm
    making is , with all these additional pellets with steel shot , even though they're lighter , they're harder , more round and can be pushed much much
    faster , in most patterns birds are hit with more pellets in a given load and at decoy distances (40 yds) , they're at the maximum ability of 85% of
    the shooters using them ! :yes

Waxed Canvas likes this.