Patterning Page

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drundel, Apr 28, 2004.

1. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Do you hang your metal plate so it can swing when hit or is it firmly anchored? If it is firmly anchored, is it angled back at the bottom or perpendicular to the ground? I occasionally see richochets with steel shot from the metal posts I use as support for my wooden target board, but they have not come back to me at 40 yards. I have heard them bounce off the garage siding about 15 yards away from the posts, however. I think if the plate was angled with the top slightly forward, or if the plate could swing from the top, the possibility of richochets would be reduced.

2. Farma Geddon

Farma Geddon Senior Refuge Member

It is actually an old diesel tank and therefore is not leaning or inclined .It is square on to me.Most of the pellets drop to the floor or just a few feet away.I will say the most pellets make a dent in the plate and all have a flat face where they hit.Judjing by that you probably need softish steel which will dent and take up most of the energy.Farmageddon

3. huntsum

huntsum Senior Refuge Member

Farma Geddon,

Is the "White Wash" that you are using composed of titanium dioxide, mineral spirits and linseed oil? Is it still wet between shots or is it patially dry to the touch? How fast does it dry?

I'll be sure to wear safety glasses of some sort if I use the metal plate...

Thanks

4. tripleb

The linseed oil part of the concoction sounds familiar as part of what was used by the "old timers".

5. Farma Geddon

Well I didn't read what sort of whitewash it is,just bought the cheapest I could find!!
    It should stay wet for days if you can get it right,so you wipe the plate when you leave and it is ready when you next want to use it.

I use a piece of wood with nails 15" apart to get my circle and a stick to wipe the hits off when counted.I never bother with the 20"circle etc ,I just want the tightest pattern I can get and I then use chokes to modify it for whatever conditions I may encounter.Gerard

6. huntsum

huntsum Senior Refuge Member

I'm a painter.

The inexpensive oil based house paints dry pretty slow...If you add white refined linseed oil to oil paints it'll slow the drying down quite a bit. I'm guessing motor oil would slow it down alot too.

I might try mixing my own concoction using titanium white artist oil paste with white refined linseed oil...That mixture will stay wet for a very long time...at least 12 hrs. I buy artist oil paste in quarts for a descent price.

So the idea is not to wipe the whole plate clean between shots but wipe it clean when done shooting and only touch up the marks with a brush between shots, right?

7. tripleb

Unless you are shooting a small number of pellets, that will take alot of time. Just smear a large brush around the plate, spreading the whitewash that is already on the plate across it's surface, adding some if needed, to cover the pellet marks.

8. Farma Geddon

Cliff has it,wipe the whole board,and start afresh.Last time I used mine was two days ago.I have just used it now,and it was still wet.Rain will wash it off,in the end though.Gerard

9. Pine

Pine Elite Refuge Member

just ordered 2 new terror choke tubes for my SBEII can't wait to pattern them :tu

10. BellyupFeetdanglin

BellyupFeetdanglin Senior Refuge Member

thanks guys :clap , now I just need to decide if I'm going go with a .675 or .700