Patterns for Turkey - West/Central Texas

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by duckloads&lattes, Jan 21, 2020.

1. duckloads&lattes

duckloads&lattes New Member

Good afternoon, friends. I hunt waterfowl and white tail quite often, but am going to be jumping into some turkey this spring and would like to get some feedback from those who have experience. I'll keep it simple.

I have several pieces of Sitka's whitetail Elevation II line and have found it to work really well from tree stands and even ground hunting. Of course, this is in the fall in Texas. I hunt from Lubbock down as far as San Angelo, and as far east as Abilene - so the terrain and cover will vary a bit, especially in the spring when things do green up a bit.

I'd like to use what I have on hand, and expect to be ground hunting against a tree (mesquite or oak) or similar. Would you expect that pattern to work fairly well in this area? I understand that camouflage isn't magic and success will greatly depend on my ability to cover and stay still. I'm just wanting to verify I'm not crazy in assuming that this pattern will not light me up from a gobbler's point of view. Thank you for your feedback!

2. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

I use bothe real tree xtra and mossy oak obsession both work well just wear something to break you up, carry some pruning shears and cut you a few limbs and stick in the ground around you will help also. The key is being still. They will see the whites in your eyes before they can make out your Camo pattern.

tomturkey and duckloads&lattes like this.
  3. duckloads&lattes

duckloads&lattes New Member

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

You’re way over thinking turkey hunting. Add a face mask, gloves, sit still and you’ll be fine.

5. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

Wear drab, natural colors and hold still. Camo not even necessary.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You can almost be a blob of any drab color and just be still. Turkeys don’t mind things that don’t move much. It’s why blinds are so effective.

7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

^^^^That. I killed Rios in Christoval, wearing old bottomland against a tiny scrub oak. Same place, I had hens napping on the limbs a foot above my head.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

"We almost wiped 'em off the face of the earth wearing blue bibbed overhauls."

mudhen and stevena198301 like this.
  9. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

They don’t see color well at night...

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

A good chair does wonders. If you nap, keep one eye open.