peabody wma gone to dogs

Discussion in 'Kentucky Flyway Forum' started by woodcutter, Oct 5, 2004.

1. woodcutter

woodcutter Refuge Member

For those of you on here that hunt on the peabody wma between Central City and Madisonville here is some news for you..The national gaurd just posted another 1200 or 1500 hundred acres of prime turkey deer and three of the better walk in duck holes out there.I for one have purchased my last peabody permit.I am not donating another dollar to this states management agency,so that bigwigs can come down from Frankfort and have a party in my backyard..I have been told that thay have already put in for the tract that runs all the way to Hwy175 possibly all the way to pond river.The best turkey hunting on peabody is on these two tracts.Boys if you don't own some or lease some now is the time...

2. webfootedquacker

webfootedquacker Elite Refuge Member

woodcutter
    Can you give me more details?

Why did the guard post it?

Certainly they wouldn't post it off limits for no reason.

3. woodcutter

woodcutter Refuge Member

They posted it because it is now federal land,not wma like it has been for the past 15 years.It is posted from 181 north going to Greenvill to Hwy 601.Everything on the left hand side of the old cedar grove rd from the rail road tracks to hwy 601 is now off limits.They cant do much maneuvers on it because it has all those gas lines under itI have had some good times there.I guess it's all over but the whining now.

4. 870sm

870sm Senior Refuge Member

Just down in the cypress swamp hunting ducks
    Yea Woodcutter if everone stick together on this we can make it work. they posted it back in the summer between military & willam walker river queen & old vogue it's getting worse.....:mad:

5. webfootedquacker

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to understand.

How can it be federal land now?
    Didn't the PeaBody Coal Co give this land to the state of Ky? How did it all of a sudden become Federally owned?

6. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker Banned

I bet D.U. has something to do with it hahhahahahaha:l

7. webfootedquacker

BM
    I heard MMayes was behind it.:l

8. KYDU

KYDU Senior Refuge Member

This year also they did away with the Quota deer hunts on some of Peabody lands. They also have made the White City Area to be included in the Peabody site. That means you have to buy a permit even to hunt ducks & geese on the Sloughs at White City. Another move I would guess that is tied to the Guards getting the land. Just another money hungry move by the state. I guess they did too much reclaiming work out there, and they need a little kick back.

9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I just called KDf&W 1-800-858-1549 to make sure you have to buy a Peabody permit for White City and they said "YES" . That SUX that they took that over and now we have to spend money to use a place the state doesn't even maintain, just like everywhere else. KYDU I sympathize w/you about not being albe to hunt there w/out a permit. I rarely go there but on occaision I will hunt there.
    Mayes

10. KYDU

KYDU Senior Refuge Member

You know its a shame I 've hunted that area for the past 50 yrs. It was bad enough when they cut out regular deer season,and made it quota. But now not only the slough but all the pot holes are included as well as everthing else. They traded some land recently with the Robert Bros. They have done a lot of reclamination work,but thats probably due to the federal/state bonds on surface mined land has run out. That opened up part of a slough on the south side of White city track. But its a Crock to get into. I guess a man would also have to buy a permit if he used the ramp on the river even if he did't hunt the WMA. Your right that SUXs. Getting to the point if you don't have a few acres or know some one your out of luck. Guess I have to look you up about diver time on Barkley/Ky Lake...;) :l