Perfect Limit For Each Flyway

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
sounds like I'd be pulling sticks and tripods and stacking them in one big pile. That would free up hundreds of miles of shoreline. F that nonsense... sounds bogus to me.
I'm pretty non-confrontational, so I go around. It is legal to hunt 500 yards offshore so I use a layout boat and others use scissors rigs in those areas. But mostly I stay on the NWRs where those regs don't apply.

CA Birdman

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes pre Mid 1980s it was 7 bull sprig - anything else was a negative. I was just finishing college when limits changed. I shot a few 7 sprig limits. In CA now, for non $$$$$$$$$$$$ duck club hunters, 7 mallards is like winning lotto. I would go Bull Sprig, Bull canvasback and 5 GWT for best eating duck limit along with 3 specks as in the closure. We had one combo shoot few years back in toe water for 3 hunters - 3 limits of ducks (21), 3 limits specks (9) and 34 snows ( limit was 15 that year). We stopped at 11 am for breakfast and decided we had enough cleaning for the day.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Iowa here.
I'd love to kill a limit of 4 greenheads and 2 blacks in a cornfield . Or a black and a pintail as the bonus birds .

But the only black I've seen in the fall is on the kids wall . Very few get shot here .

pluffmud

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The first time I ever traveled out of state, I shot my "dream limit" 3 days in a row.... 5 drake mallards and a drake pintail. All on public land, having never set eyes on that place. Now what? I think I've hit the Sportsman stage really early... Living in the Atlantic Flyway will do that to you. Shooting limits is always fun, but I'll take a kid shooting his first ringneck over 5 drake mallards and a drake pintail every time.

Neighbor Guy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A “perfect” day for me on the Ontario/MN border….

Start the morning with 6 ducks. Could be 6-ringers, a mix of puddle ducks, even buffleheads. But perfect would be:

2-Cans
2-Redheads
2-Bluebills

After breakfast a paddle and a limit of 15-coots

In the afternoon a field hunt for 5-geese in cow country

To be honest, that would be a nightmare. I’m tired just thinking about it. Each of the three on their own is fun. To do all three, and have to clean them. Gross.

Riverfisher

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Missouri-4 Mallards, and my 2 bonus ducks. I’m not picky about hens or drakes. I’m not into taxidermy, just gonna eat them.

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This would be a good one
571DAF95-BA38-4BEE-AC42-6A89BBCFF935.jpeg