Permanent above-ground blind in a field???

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Golden Marsh, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Golden Marsh

Golden Marsh Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys, I'm curious if you guys have ever successfully used a permanent above-ground blind in a field? I got permission on a new farm where another group of hunters built a blind that 10 foot long, 4 foot wide, 6 foot high blind in the middle of a cut corn field and brushed up the outside with cut Christmas trees. I can't imagine that this would work after one day of shooting, if it even worked at all.

It sticks out like a sore thumb, but maybe I'm wrong and this approach works. Curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.

GM

2. SOGGYBOTTOMBOY

SOGGYBOTTOMBOY Elite Refuge Member

Limited success with that type of set up. If geese begin feeding in the field they will become use to the blind and then you will have success.

3. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator

I have hunted out of a couple of above ground blinds in a dirt field or set right on the edge of a cornfield, geese will get used to seeing it out in the field and it shouldn't be a problem.

they shoot plenty of geese from those hay bale blinds and all they look like is a bale left in the field.

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

People have been doing it with great success for years in PA and MD.

5. Golden Marsh

Wow. I'm surprised at the number of positive responses so far. Seems like a recipe for ruining a field to me.

6. Djknyork1971

Djknyork1971 Senior Refuge Member

If someone else is hunting there why did you bother? I could see if you didn't know someone already had permission.

7. Golden Marsh

Because somebody has permission to hunt ALL of the fields in the area. Also, I'm not using their blind, though the landowner told me I could if I wanted to. But if I get there first and set up in the field, they will need to go elsewhere that day.

But I am honestly curious, do you seriously feel that if someone has permission on land they don't own, everyone else should leave the field alone even if the landowner said it was fine to hunt there?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  8. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

You see them all over Delmarva for a reason .

9. QuinnNadu

QuinnNadu Elite Refuge Member

We use them good. Just make sure you use Cedar, not the typical "Christmas tree" stuff. Everything but Cedar will turn brown.

10. chessydogs

chessydogs Refuge Member

They are all over the Eastern Shore. Everything from A-frames to regular duck blind builds. Cover them with switch grass, corn stalks, cedar trees, Leyland cypress, pine branches, even seen some covered with burlap and/or military camo netting.

They stick out like sore thumbs and you wouldn't believe the number of geese killed out of some of them as long as the hunters stay hidden when geese are working.