"Phasing" reeds up or down when calling

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by California Flyway, May 29, 2007.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have noticed that blowing a single reed with the reed down produces a cleaner and better sound.
    Someone else posted that up some time ago and I did not pay much attention until I tried it last season.
    I recall a lot of skeptics who said it did not matter. I say it does.
    Any other views on this?

I adjust my lanyards to have the calls come up in my hand "phased," reed down.

2. speck

speck Senior Refuge Member

Yes, it is true someone did post that.
    Duck calls the reeds should face down and
    goose calls face up, I believe.

3. #1stunner

#1stunner Elite Refuge Member

I don't know, to me if the air is presented right it don't matter where the toneboard/reed are sitting. Craig are you saying that the center of the toneboard needs to be at 12 o'clock with the reed on the bottom?

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I asked Phil Robertson (the Duck Commander) this very same question years ago. He replied that the position of the reed(s) i.e. 12:00, 8:00, etc. have no determent on the tone/sound of the call. On my RNTs I try to have the toneboard at 8:00 as it may help allow the moisture to drain. I don't know if it really works or not.

5. primeduck

primeduck Elite Refuge Member

I had an Echo that the tone would change if the reed was facing down. Even had it verified over the phone from one of our call maker sponsors. My RNT's sound the same tho & don't change.

Like ole OneShot, I have my calls hanging on my lanyards so that they will be at the 7 or 8 position when I call, to maybe help with moisture displacement...not that it is a proven method, just something I do. :)

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

On some it does, and on some it don't. Most I've run fall into the later category.

7. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

watch contest callers they make sure there tone boards are in the right place... I have noticed on some calls it matters and other not so much... but I still look before I blow...:tu

8. SB

SB Senior Refuge Member

I always make sure that the reeds on both my duck and goose calls are on top. I didn't know if it mattered or not but I tune them to sound and blow the way I like with the reeds on top.

9. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

For my calling style, 99% of the single reed calls I have tried need to have the reed position on the bottom or the tone completely changes and will not function properly.

10. XR-2 Fan

XR-2 Fan Elite Refuge Member

It definitely makes a difference on the XR-2. I was told to blow it with the tone channel down and the reeds up and if you blow it like they say it won't sound right if the reeds are facing down. At least it sounds way different for me. I think on other calls like single reeds it all depends how you present the air into the call. If the air is presented straight into the barrel it probably won't matter how the reeds are sitting. If you tend to blow "down the side of the call" it will definitely sound different with the reeds in different positions. At least this has been my experience.