California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Pintail ducks!

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

anybody seeing any?

2. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Allegedly the Lodge is loaded...

Flyfisher likes this.
  3. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Limit is 1. But it will be the most populous summer, fall, and wintering waterfowl species in the Central Valley.

Refugeguy likes this.
  4. DUCKSPY

DUCKSPY New Member

OUT DOING WOOD DUCK BOXS TUESDAY AND THEY WERE ALL OVER THE MARSH WHERE I WAS AT,AND AT THE CLUBS BOTH NORTH AND EAST, AS THE OWNERS ARE FLOODING UP FOR A COUPLE WEEKS TO GET THE SMART WEED AND OTHER GOOD DUCK FOOD GOING.....ALSO LOTS OF WATER UP HERE ,SO EVEN THE REFUGES ARE FLOODING UP IN PLACES THAT HASNT SEEN SUMMER WATER IN YEARS....BIG GROUPS OF MALLARDS JUST LEARNING TO FLY, ANY WHERE THERES WATER.EXCEPT RICE FIELDS,AS TO MUCH GOING ON IN THE RICE,[CROP DUSTERS,FERTILIZE TRACTORS,DITCH TENDERS,AND THE FARMERS PUTTING OUT ZOON GUNS]
    AND MOST OF THE DRAKES HAVE FLOWN NORTH TO MOLTE, AND HANG OUT TOGETHER AND TELL LIES ABOUT ALL THE HENS THEY KNOCKED UP........

ALSO>>>>>I DONT GET IN THE RIGHT FRAME OF MIND TO DO ALOT OF POSTING,SO WITH THAT BEING SAID...I HEARD A RUMOR ,SO LETS SEE IF ANYBODY READS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY.

SOME DUCK BROKER BY THE NAME OF NORTHERN FLIGHT HAS TAKEN OVER MOST OF THE BUTTE CITYS HUNTING CLUBS GOOD BLINDS AND THE CLUBS TRAILER PARK ON Z RD,,,,
    WAS TOLD THAT THEN TOOK OVER ALL THE HENDOS RICE GROUND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    WAS TOLD BY THE FARMER THAT JUST RENTED 300 ARCES TO THE BUTTE CITY CLUB TO TRY TO KEEP THERE HUNTERS WITH A PLACE TO HUNT................
    I KNOW FROM READING THIS FORUM THAT THERES A FEW OF YOU FOLKS IN THAT CLUB...

JUST WHAT I HEARD,SO DONT SHOOT THE MESSEGER, JUST MY 50 CENTS WORTH..

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AS ALWAYS ......YOUR FRIEND...........DUCKSPY........................

Brottboss and callinfowl like this.
  5. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Since we're typically covered up in pins from mid season, and being that the limit is 1 I may just try something new. Considering bringing binoculars out to the blind and look for some bling in those massive flocks.
    Of all the bands I've got Ive never killed a banded sprig.

Flyfisher likes this.
  6. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

I lost a coin flip on a bull sprig in Canada a few years back... :cry:z I have never got one either..

7. Beau Slaton

Beau Slaton Senior Refuge Member

I have only killed 1 banded duck because I mostly hunt geese. It was a bull sprig. One of the few times there was only 1 shot on 1 bird and it had a band. It was hard for everyone to make their case that they shot it. I will never understand why when a band is killed everyone wants it. If you didn’t know for sure that you killed it and no one else could have, why would you want it so bad?

creedsduckman, JRS and Flyfisher like this.
  8. 7deddux

7deddux Refuge Member

Went out with a group last year and my 7 year old came home with one banded in 2009

Attached Files:

Russnutt209 and Flyfisher like this.
  9. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

My first band was a banded sprig from wister. We had big flocks of wigeon bouncing off the spread all day and the guys I was with didn’t want to move the spread. Had a bull backdoor us as another flock of wigeon was about to bounce so I dumped it and it had bling.

Chessie, Mike_Hancho and Flyfisher like this.
  10. Spoonie16

Spoonie16 Senior Refuge Member

Killed 2 banded bulls last season...one of which was banded as an adult in '05.

Flyfisher likes this.