pit blind specs/design/construction

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by stedge, Jan 10, 2001.

1. stedge

stedge New Member

I am planning to install a pit blind in a field that I have access to and would like to get some general and specific information on doing so. Mainly, I need dimensions for a 3 man hole, different blind cover ideas, and any advice. Thanks.

2. STEVO

STEVO Elite Refuge Member

if you are only planning for three guys to hunt you prolly will not need to build a pit. what i would do is just take a tractor with an awger (sp) on the back and make some holes big enough to put a 50 gallon drum in. this kind of pit is easy to make and you dont have to worry about camo for it. or just did out a good size whole and put some skids down in the bottoms.

------------------
    [Gen 9:2] And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every FOWL of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

[Gen 9:3] Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

3. M.E.Brazell

M.E.Brazell Senior Refuge Member

If you decide on a pit, they are fairly easy to construct. First off, I advise having a back hoe dig it for you' We use plywood sides, but you can get by with pressboard. Use treated 2x4's for framing. I would build an open area with an overhang and bench to the rear. The lid can be pop open or roller track, but I prefer the roller style. Use thin metal channel and chair rollers. We use a spring to assest in rolling the lid back. We lock it closed, but it is spring loaded to the open position. The top is cover in burlap. If it is in a bottom land or area that floods, Cover the lid with plywood in the off season to keep sediment out. Good Luck,---M.E.