Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Pit lids

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Oct 10, 2020.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Tell us about them.
    I have a slider system 3/8th plywood slides in a 1 inch gap. I need a lid that will seal out the weather , and disappear
    Our pit is small 38 " x 92 "

2. redheads

redheads Refuge Member

An old garage door mounted horizontally, some of my partners would benefit from the speed of a geni opener :l

3. BRANES91

BRANES91 Refuge Member

We have individual round spin doors, when hole is not in use, you can sit the door down down flat. Door has expanded metal for the center, with the solid just being the outside 4 inches of the rim. The expanded helps lighten the weight as well as being able to keep your eyes on birds as they work.
    If you wanted to put a little more effort into them you could set the doors in a bearing and make them spin really easy. These are just friction fit, into a ring with holes drilled to run a bolt through to adjust how high each door sets. Hides really well.

may be able to dig up some more pictures, but here are a couple to kind of give you an idea.
    BTW-Gun isn’t loaded in 2nd pic, we were just climbing in for the day.

Attached Files:

creedsduckman likes this.
  4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Our shooting holes are 3 x 3 and we have to step up on a step to shoot. We use a camo netting and connect it to the holes with Velcro, one quick jerk and your ready to shoot. You can easily see through it so it is easy to watch for ducks. I got a sheet load of it at an Army Surplus store.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  5. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

Very simple for us. Our pits have hog panel that runs the length of the pit front and back. Angle is maybe 30 degrees on both sides and we leave shooting opening in the middle and the full length of the blind. We tie grass so that it comes over the top front and back. The shooting top is completely covered and hunters stand up through the dressed top cover to shoot. No flipping, no sliding and no fumbling with guns in one hand while the other has to flip or pull or slide something out of the way! It is absolutely the optimal way to kill birds. Birds generally don’t react to hunters standing up to shoot like they do when a top gets flipped, rolled or slid. In higher winds it give you even more of an advantage. Birds can get 10-15 yards on you when you are flipping or sliding something. It might seem too simple or not warm enough etc. but we are there to kill ducks not eat breakfast and hide out in a makeshift house. Kill your birds and then you can go to your warm comfortable house to eat breakfast and take cover from the elements.

Have hunted boats, blinds, pits and various types of blinds over the past 30 years and this is by far the most effective we have found.

Good Luck

6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Broom grass and pieces of corrugated metal under it while not hunting for weather protection or to close off areas you don’t need open to help retain heat. I’ve hunted out of pits with lids and, IMO, they’re annoying to maneuver thru.

7. Pirogue

Pirogue Elite Refuge Member

The picture with the kid is awesome....except for the closed bolt shotgun pointing straight up at him !!

bxcall1 and teul2 like this.
  8. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

we had spring loaded for years some people had trouble coming up 2 sec can make a big diff . so now we went with 2x2 grassed up layed about 6 in apart we love it not weather proof but dam nice you can pull over and look thru then stand up and nothing binding you or to get hung up on . zip tied grass on them

9. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Don't mean to hijack, BUT...How do you critter-proof the lids?
    My old man told the story of a New Year's Day goose hunt where Christmas week was stupid warm and then a front moved through NY Eve. They uncovered their pit and found a cottonmouth - about frozen since it got caught in the cold. I have visions of opening one up in warmer weather and finding a lively one - or two.... Same with finding a skunk in one.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

find a cow in one and you’ll really know what enjoyment is. And don’t park a truck that has road salt on it in a field of cows. :doh