Planting sunflowers

redheads

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any tips on planting black oil sunflower seeds from a local store?

I have about 5 acres i want to plant and instead of buying clarified seed im thinking of trying the bird food bag.

I have heard good things ut have never done it myself i always bought the right seed and have had various results......bad and terrible

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
I plant 'bird seed' black oil seeds in my front and back gardens, and down at our schoolhouse. They come up pretty good, considering I live in a deep canyon, and get little sun even in the summer. Front garden gets morning sun, back garden gets evening sun. Seeds do better at the school house. They get about 4' high, and they don't get enough water. Only water I have access to is from the post office, and the lady there hates me, so I can only water on Sundays.
That said, it is a small sample size. Not sure on a whole field. I just grow em for color, and to let my bunnies have at em in the Fall.

burgawboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are you planting for doves?

AvianQuest

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The black oil sunflower seeds bought for birds usually does great for planting. If you disk the soil and then spread the seed and go back and drag something over it then all it needs is some timely rain.

HNTFSH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did a small plot for Dove and it ended up being a lot more work than planting millet. Probably because I didn't have all the right equipment and weed control early was a PIA. Then knocking it down and clearing the disc'd field was harder too.

It was fun but I didn't do it twice, it didn't yield anymore doves than seed but it did attract about every critter on Earth with 4 legs.

If you have the right farm implements, understand herbicides and a big enough tract you might be OK. Nothing looks prettier than a big sun flower field in mid August.

Attachments

• Sunflower.GIF
    Sunflower.GIF
    515.1 KB · Views: 11

redheads

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did a small plot for Dove and it ended up being a lot more work than planting millet. Probably because I didn't have all the right equipment and weed control early was a PIA. Then knocking it down and clearing the disc'd field was harder too.

It was fun but I didn't do it twice, it didn't yield anymore doves than seed but it did attract about every critter on Earth with 4 legs.

If you have the right farm implements, understand herbicides and a big enough tract you might be OK. Nothing looks prettier than a big sun flower field in mid August.
I agree about attracting everything else.

The last time i planted them i never manipulated them because i hunt waterfowl there too. Boy the deer and turkey always seemed to be in those flowers year round

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Black oil From sunflwer seeds you get in bird seed bags will grow just fine . Does take fertilizer like any other crop. The problem is at about 4 to 6" high deer will devour them. Of course if there's turkeys around they love digging out the seeds once ground is worked. If your planting for doves make sure you row plant so that you can do herbicide control on weeds. If ground isn,t kept clear under them doves won,t use them. Weeds are your enemy. They do make roundup up resistant sunflwr seeds for dove plots. Electric fence is your only hope of keeping deer out if they,re in your area. Use solar charger if not near electricity. After setting up fence and before turning on get some peanut butter and an old glove. Coat the strands with it and then turn on. Deer will learn quickly that a shock comes when trying to get that peanut butter . Basically your conditioning them to stay away right from the begining.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If your going to broadcast plant try buckwheat. Its dense enough to keep out weeds, deer don,t seem to bother it as bad . Mow down & light disc strips about 3 weeks prior to shoot.

Farm4wildlife

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Figure on a low germ rate, it will likely be below 50%, you might also have undesirable seed present in it.

Once deer learn to eat them, it's over. Years ago I could plant 2.5-3 acres of sunflowers, have an awesome dove field. Now I do 10 acres and can about count the number of flowers that make it to maturity.