Planting ....

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, May 5, 2021.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

While I pretty much do moist soil in my pond we decided to go all out in corn this week. As with a lot of commodities, prices have gone sky high, especially fertilizer. I was warned months ago that it would jump drastically, especially nitrogen but wasn’t terribly disappointed when I got the bill as I assumed it was going to be off the charts.

So I was curious, how much increase are you guys that plant big corn acreage in your ponds being affected this year vs last? Has the price to go with corn changed any of your plans? Sometimes you just have to pay the piper ....

2. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

Didn’t stop us! Corn plant went in today on duck impoundment! Planted and fertized 12 acres of Sunflowers last weekend for Dove! Dry Urea Nitrogen fertilizer 50lb bags were $17.75 bag which didn’t seem too bad but we didn’t go crazy on the dove plot with it!

Praying for average rains and weather now!

Good Luck 2140510B-7053-4FE1-A2FF-1D4691EDB7C0.jpeg

3. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I just bought a thousand pounds of bulk nitrogen, it was $297. Fertilized my hay fields, pastures and yard. I saved back about 50 lbs for my dove field. Will buy about the same amount in June.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Prices seem about in line with what I’ve seen and heard around here. I had the fertilizer truck come from 20 miles away and spread 31-6-6 for $575/ton. Quite frankly I was thinking it would be a lot more in that my farmer kept telling me don’t be surprised at just how high it’s going to be, especially nitrogen. Anyway like most, we now need a good rain to get it going. Has been super dry here (eastern NC) but do have a fair rain chance tomorrow and for next week. I usually do moist soil but decided to go the corn route this year. Last time I did corn was super wet and couldn’t spray and got really weedy. Then what made blew over before maturing in an exceptionally strong wind event. Hope to have some better luck this time around ...

5. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

James, welcome to the dark side. I havent seen our bill yet but I havent heard it going through the roof on fertilizer or seed. I will check with my farmer and get back to you. Ours all went in last week. We plant the whole 7 acres in our small impoundment and tripled our acreage in our new impoumdment to about 9 acres with the rest (4 or so acres ) being moist soil. Have about 2.5 acres right in the middle of the 2 corn plots that will be a mowed landing strip and hopefully where we will be hunting. Excited for this year!

6. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

“Anyway like most, we now need a good rain to get it going.”

We have the opposite problem in TN. Way to wet for the farmers. We could use a couple of weeks of little to no rain.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yes sir Wendell, thought about you when I made the decision, lol! Went all in, that pond in about 15 acres but could only get 10 plus ac. of corn in it. Have the connected 4 ac pool in moist soil (local mallards are living in it now) and we just added an additional acre to a back corner area connecting the big pond. That will get sowed in barnyard grass later on and flooded early. Like you and the others on here, really get excited when we get into the growing season ...especially when trying a few different things and you’re out there with it making it work!

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

It’s ironic that we seem to have had this same issue for our areas the last few years ....what you don’t need we want and visa versa! Ahhhh, Mother Nature at her best ....

Clayton likes this.
  9. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Even in moist soil management one can have too much rain. We had a dry winter when we wanted the rain then March hit with 12.5” and it has barely slowed down since. I know NC was in a bad wet spell for several years so you all could use the break.

10. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

I always joke with my buddy who farms. With Landscapers (what I do) and farmers its either too much rain or not enough and we are never happy with it.
    NE NC is seeing a much drier spring than we have seen in a while, which isnt a terrible thing. Just talked to my farmer and he said he hasnt seen the bill but fertilizer is def up. They got enough rain all our corn is popped and looking awesome so I am stoked to get down there and check it out!