Poly vs. Acrylic

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by bkraut, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bkraut

bkraut Senior Refuge Member

I'm not a great caller, but I just don't hear a huge difference between the two. I was at cabela's the other day and lined up the poly and acrylic zink calls--the PH1, PH2 and PH2 mag. I blew the poly and then the acrylic on every call and really didn't notice that much of a difference.

So here are my questions:
    Is it really worth the extra money ($25 poly vs $120 acrylic) for the acrylic?

Is there that big of a difference, but you just don't notice it until you're really good?

Thanks

2. browndog49768

browndog49768 Elite Refuge Member

The poly vs. acrylic difference is one of pitch just like you can hear the difference in pitch between wood and poly or acrylic. Poly sounds a bit mellower. The price difference comes in with the difference manufacturing Poly calls are molded from plastic, and acrylic is turned out on a lathe. I personally didnt think there was a difference but now can hear the difference. I think that most of us start out with the poly and then move over to acrylic when our calling improves, and some never do and can call just fine on poly over time.

3. Don Dean

Don Dean Elite Refuge Member

There isn't a huge diff. I prefer acrylic because of its durability but there is a little better clarity with acrylic vs. poly calls. Now the diff between acrylic & poly compared to wood?...... Big diff.:tu

4. Brent4Hire

Brent4Hire Elite Refuge Member

I have owned 1 poly call - bought an acrylic a week after buying it and never looked back. Acrylic has more clear crack to it, generally more volume, and better pitch variance - it projects the subtle nuances in goose calling better than plastic, IMHO.

As for you questions, my take is this:

Is it worth the extra $100 - only you can decide that. Plastic calls have and will continue to fool geese if the person using it is proficient - a good caller on plastic will out-call a poor caller on acrylic anyday. For a developing caller, having acrylic does have advantages - they are more durable, they have excellent resale/trade value if you go with a popular model, and they tend to be easier or more forgiving to tune. There is also the added bonus of being more appealing to the owner, which can often transalate into increased practice, which is the key.

Do you only hear it when you're a better, more experienced caller - yes and no. I give singing lessons, guitar lessons, and calling lessons. I can attest to the fact that while most if not all people have the auditory ability to hear pitch variance, many lack the ability to translate it into practice. That being said, the clarity of the tone of a call can be heard by anyone, although someone who has experience running many different calls of many different materials will have a broader base from which to appreciate the tonal qualities of a given call and material. I have two guitars at home - a Tanglewood I used to use at pubs and a Boucher walnut goose. I can play all the same notes on either instrument, but I could tell the difference between the two in a heart-beat. Goose calls are very similar.

You can get pretty much any call, and certainly great calls, for between $80 and $100 on the classifieds here - only you can decide whether you're sufficiently dedicated to practicing enough that the purchase is justified, otherwise the only thing you'll be blowing is your money.:tu

5. Gordy

Gordy Elite Refuge Member

What really should matter is how the ducks respond. Do ducks respond better to the sound of an Acrylic over a Poly or Wood? Probably not. I believe Acrylic sounds better to most of us, which boost our confidence, which to a certain degree, makes use a better caller.
    There really are two parts to calling ducks, learning how to properly blow a call (making duck sounds) and learning how to apply that to calling ducks (making the sounds that the ducks want to hear, when they want to hear them). I believe this can be done with any functional call, no matter what material it is made from.
    Someone that has learned how to blow a call and how to work ducks, could be just as successful with an off the self quality Poly or Wood as they would be with a quality Custom Acrylic or Wood.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Take in mind this is coming from someone with a very poor ear for music...

I do believe that there is a substantial difference between acrylic and poly calls. Pitch, and volume are the 2 most easily heard differnces. I also feel that the acrylic calls are a bit easier to make sound good.

Another thing to remember, is it is difficult to hear what a call sounds like when you are actually blowing on the call. If you want to hear a difference, have someone else blow the call, and stand a little distance away. One thing that I can say from my own experience is that acrylic sounds carry much further....

One way to really improve your own calling, and get an idea what the call sounds like, is to record your own calling. You will hear your own mistakes, and get a much better feel what you sound like....

7. evansjoem

evansjoem New Member

I use more poly carb. calls in the field, because of the mellow tone they produce. I use all acrylics for the competition aspect. Like everyone else says poly carb. is a more mellow call, it doesn't produce as much of an echo as a acrylic call. Poly carb is more mellow because the sound is being absorbed into the call and the acrylic is more crisp and clear because the sound isn't being absorbed. An Ivory call seems to be the most dense of the acrylic side, and seems to sound the best with little vibration in the sound and in the call. Just my two cents.

8. callsbygoose

callsbygoose Senior Refuge Member

find somewere you get a echo from the call ,an call an let it bounce back to you.you will here the call bounce back an hear the call.

plus think about it,if your calling ,you can hear the bounce back an it sound's either awesome,great,or need's re-tuned.you can dial it in.

i bounce a echo off a tree line down by the river.atleast 60 yrds away.

what do you think the geese or duck's are hearing at that range.:)

see-ya
    steve
    :)

9. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

A duck is a duck and they have no idea how much you paid for your call. Timing and reading the ducks is at lease as important as sound.

I don't think it matters if you are trying to call ducks. If your trying to call judges on the other hand, it may be important.

:amen

10. bkraut

bkraut Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for all the responses!