Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Portable gun storage container?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by JFG, Dec 10, 2019.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Other than making or buying a gun box, I’ve been looking for a storage container that I can put 3/4 cased shotguns in to keep dry while in the boat. Needs to be appx. 52” long. I’ve searched the likes of NuLine, Plano, Rubbermaid, Grainger, etc. to no avail. Couple years ago I found something in Wally World but decided it was going to be a little fragile. I can find good containers now up to 46” but nothing larger. Surely something is out there that will be the ticket? Appreciate y’all’s help.

2. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

3. Huntinherrington

Huntinherrington Refuge Member

Needs to 52" long but not longer? I'm trying to see what i can find online for ya. I use a plastic truck tool box but i have plenty of room in my boat. My boat is 60" wide at the bottom. I use it as a bench seat across the back as my boat is just a hull with no seats. Mine is something like this. It's built to be in the weather so it holds up pretty dang good. Not sure how much you want to spend though. This one is long but might be able to find one 52" long.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dee-Zee-...Je7NlWEOSP6475YCKG5pj34MWnPUrR9hoCwa0QAvD_BwE

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Both products could be doable. I said 52” because that’s what lengths my cases are. Storage could be a little longer but I’d have to measure to see how much width I have in back of boat. Water resistance is important to me. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Go to the BPS (Backwater Performance Systems) website and look up their “Gun sleeve two gun deluxe). It is a soft shell sleeve that mounts to your boat gunwale and will accept two cased shotguns and other accessories like boat paddles, collapsible push poles and decoy retrievers.

They work well and don’t take up space in the boat. If the gun cases you use are waterproof then voila - you have a waterproof gun storage system!

6. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Do you need to take it out of the boat? I put a 60” flush mount truck tool box in my old boat. Way cheaper than a gun box from the manufacturer. $200 and everything stays dry.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Like those ideas, as mentioned I’ll check my beam width this weekend for max length.

The gun sleeve product didn’t specify “how” it was attached, however, it appears it requires drilling/thru bolting into the gunnel of my boat. Not real keen on that. I’d also have to see if I have enough pass thru room between it and the console. Pretty tight there already. Looks like a good product though.

8. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

I think the gun Sleeve is intended to mount to the T-rail along the gunnel of the boat. If you have one that is.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Yes. Mounts into a t-rail / accessory groove in your gunwale. I have one of these sleeves.

10. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Been using the BPS splash gun sleeve for five seasons now on my tracker grizzly with a t rail. Good product. Only now is there a tear in the fabric and one of the snap tethers tore. Used an iron on patch for the fabric and found a replacement snap lock. The camo has discolored a bit but the sun is fierce here, but well worth the price. I keep it stored indoors after the season.

Frenchy in AK likes this.