Possibly needing to move to Florida - advice and reccomendations pls

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by JimG, Jul 31, 2019.

1. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

Wife's stepfather is very ill and needs an "adult" close by to make sure he is taking care of his medical needs, grocery shopping, etc. Wife's mother is not up to the task. I can't find work up here in Connecticut anyway, so I volunteered to go down if she wants me to to make sure their needs are taken care of. They have a spare room that I could use temporarily. Then hopefully I find work, our own place then get her to move down. She's a banker so I don't think she would have any problems changing jobs.

Area is Daytona.

How is the job market down there for a middle aged guy, I'm 56? I've worked in the HVAC industry my entire career, mostly in commercial project management, but the last 15 years in equipment sales. Honestly would like to try something different at this point.

What about the duck hunting? Your regs are quite confusing. Am I right that to hunt public WMA's that I have to buy an additional permit for WMA's but not private land? I have a 14ft Sea Class TDB. Is it of any use in Florida? Is public land hunting a race for spots? It can be at times up here. Looks like I'd be hunting mostly in the Northeast Region. Pardon my ignorance on this, but what about waterfowling with a retriever with all of your alligators down there? And dog training during the off season?

2. Florida Cracker

Florida Cracker Refuge Member

Some fair to good duck hunting on east side of central Florida.
    You'll need a license for all public & private land...plus another permit for WMA's.

3. Sleddman

Sleddman Senior Refuge Member

look along the st johns river. been years since i lived there bit its fresh water. your boat should work well there, watch out for the cotton mouths, lol

4. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Well...HVAC is a booming deal in central Florida. You should have no problem with that.

As far as duck hunting in that area...You have the St. Johns..... and you have Merrit Island NWR.
    MINWR is 50% permits ( $25 ea ) and has 50% of area open for free as long as you have license and stamp plus hunter safety (any states) plus a signed copy of a self issuing permit that is in the Regs pamphlet. It gets very busy if there are birds.

North of Daytona is Guana WMA ( it is Ponte Vedra beach) which is permit access only...
    There is TM Goodwin but it is a hike from Daytona....and S Fla has the STA's...but hours further than that...and all are permit spots but have provision for lottery walk on ( STA may or may not...it is being looked at by FWC )
    As far as your boat...not familiar but most here have some flavor of Jon boat with a mud motor ( from little low horsepower long tails on small jons to high end duck rigs with big short tails) ..... an outboard will struggle...or you'll blow a powerhead with all the weeds we have in most duck spots.

Most people here travel a fair amount to hunt.... make weekend trips to lake O....and other places.

That said....the hunting is VERY GOOD....once you get "dialed in"

Sleddman likes this.
  5. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the tips and keep; them coming. On my wife's computer because mine, along with my resume file, crapped out last week. Grrr. One former coworker is up in Palm Coast and is working at a contractor in Ormond Beach which is right in the middle. So at least I'll have a good reference once I check the company out. So how "open" is duck hunting down there? I was on Bing Maps and around Ponce inlet it looks pretty marshy. If it's not WMA or NWF, is it pretty much anything goes? How far from dwellings, generally? In CT it's 500ft inland and 250ft in tidal areas.

What are the major ducks? I carve my own decoys and may opt to rough block a bunch of decoys rather than figure out how to ship over a dozen 8-9ft cedar boards. Have plenty of mallards but what other big ducks? Would not want to waste 8" by 4" cedar boards on teal or woodies.

Decoy lines.... most of my rig I use 1 pound "H" anchors with at least 15ft of line. Good if hunting the coast or overkill? Easy sell up here if I don't need them.

6. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Palm coast puts you kinda between MINWR and Guana WMA.
    It puts you up a little far for the better parts of the St. Johns.
    I like the area between SR 46 and south to 520

Ringnecks and B W teal are the bread & butter birds of Florida.
    You can shoot 1 Mottled duck ( think hen mallard) per day... and are pretty easy when you know where they like to be.

Sell those weights....unless you want to do some long line sets for divers...