Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Potholes Snows

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by mrbill, Sep 2, 2018.

1. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

One last post of some of the snows from last season. Then to figure out how to bag some.

[​IMG]

Wareagle1 and Green Duck Truck like this.
  2. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Some people claim they will decoy in. I disagree.

3. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Add: And I paid good $ to figure that out. To a guide with lots of business.

4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

You can decoy snows

Wareagle1 likes this.
  5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Maybe not as readily in this part of the flyway as you do down in California? Don't know.

6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I’d say it entirely depends on how much pressure they are getting there. Doesn’t sound like too many are doing it up there, so that would make me assume it is easier to do there with less pressure. For the record, I’m no expert at decoying snows. Just a blind squirrel who finds a nut once in a while

7. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Snow geese can be decoyed anywhere.
    You gotta be near perfect on your decoys, hide and calling though Screenshot_20170120-085444.png

waterswatter likes this.
  8. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

The only problem with these geese is they are going to fields that are leased by different clubs/guides and many do not have the decoys to target just snows. A hit or miss proposition at best. If they are geese that migrated from the central flyway it will be very tough for hunters to target. If they are Russia/Alaska geese that don't get as much pressure will be a different story.

9. Guzman

Guzman Elite Refuge Member

Yes snows decoy. In terms of potholes/Moses Lake area snows here are a few challenges.

1. They weren’t always consistent. We would see them in different fields a lot. There were times, but fairly hard to pattern.

2. There probably isn’t a big enough population. A lot of the time there would be 5,000 on the lake.

3. They would come out in big flocks. Canada geese seem to spread their flight out more. The Canada’s come off the lake slower. Multiple times I would see flights of 2-3000 snows in a flock. 2 flocks and you might see a coulple other flocks and that was it.

4. This puts you in a delema of do you put out a snow spread that might negatively impact your Canada hunt?

5. They are hard to predict what they are going to do which makes calling the shot difficult especially out of a pit. They come falling out of the sky and then randomly leave after being 10 feet over the decoys. And calling the shot out of a pit on birds that aren’t commited is difficult.

6. Not many people have the money to invest in a snow spread. We didn’t try it so not sure if it will work better????

7. Up around Moses Lake we didn’t see or hear of a lot being shot consistently. I am sure that will change as they seem to be building in numbers. We are going to try a few things this year on the right days and see if we can shoot a few of them.

I wonder too if the snows have any impact on the Canada’s? Do they compete for food and not sure how limited they are on food sources? Do they drive out Canada’s? Are there impact we don’t see such as drop in food quality and reduced nesting success? Time will tell but the east side population of snows has been growing the last 15 years dramatically and the east side Canada population is way below what it was 20 years ago although I don’t think that is related to the snows.

10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Well I would agree that central flyway birds are pressured more but that doesnt mean they cant be decoyed.
    Yes snows are unpredictable and very hard to hunt

waterswatter likes this.