Predators and duck numbers

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I used to run about 12 or 15 boxes. They were extremely successful the first year or tow, but after the second or third year, almost all of them would get hit by predators........... Even at proper height above the water with predator guards.
How do you reckon the predators were getting in the boxes?

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

DisplacedDuck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Outside of the large land acquisition and state and federal project work being done by orgs, I’ve always thought the action we take should in large part be a re-action to the year to year setting.

If by April it is a widely wet year, predation should play a back-seat to making sure wet fields stay wet for long enough. That’s it. Easy.

If by April there is already no water to be found, lobbyists should spend less time lobbying and more time trapping and or building productive nesting cover, hen-houses, etc.

I’ve often wondered why there wasn’t more cross-collaboration between DU and Delta. Maybe there is and I just don’t see it.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Outside of the large land acquisition and state and federal project work being done by orgs, I’ve always thought the action we take should in large part be a re-action to the year to year setting.

If by April it is a widely wet year, predation should play a back-seat to making sure wet fields stay wet for long enough. That’s it. Easy.

If by April there is already no water to be found, lobbyists should spend less time lobbying and more time trapping and or building productive nesting cover, hen-houses, etc.

I’ve often wondered why there wasn’t more cross-collaboration between DU and Delta. Maybe there is and I just don’t see it.
There used to be considerable collaboration between DU, and Delta. Back when Delta was primarily a research organization, DU funded many of Deltas projects, and Delta trained many of Du's Biologists.

I think IF there is any divide it is because Delta used PR as way to divide the comunities that support both organizations ( among other things). I have been a DU committee member for 30+ years, and have never heard any DU staff say anything negative about Delta, except that they thought that using donated funds were put to better use funding habitat than it would be funding PR ( this is due to costs, and the fact that PR $ is not subject to any matching funds). On the other hand, pretty much any Delta officer that I encountered went out of their way to run down DU.

Honestly, they a different operations................ Support one,...... or the other, ...or both.......... I don't care.

Last edited:

DelFowl18

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't read every post so sorry if I missed something. We have a spot that will hold a large amount of wood ducks. This past year we have noticed a huge uptick in raccoons and crows and lower number of woodies. We are planning to do some thinning out!!! Could someone tell me their experiences with crows/raccoons depleting the ducks. We are just speculating that they are the issue.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The more fragmented the habitat is, the more impact targeted trapping can have. I'm not all in on trapping as a big driver of nesting success, but it can definitely be beneficial in some situations.
^^^
This.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I didn't read every post so sorry if I missed something. We have a spot that will hold a large amount of wood ducks. This past year we have noticed a huge uptick in raccoons and crows and lower number of woodies. We are planning to do some thinning out!!! Could someone tell me their experiences with crows/raccoons depleting the ducks. We are just speculating that they are the issue.
Both will wipe out a duck or turkey nest quick.

DelFowl18

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured this much, but we never really had that much of a problem before. We are definitely going to try to thin them out. We do have a good amount of Turkeys also and want to keep it that way. Thanks