Prepping a Longtail/Pintail for the freezer.

Vandy Grift

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked, I searched and couldn’t find anything. It may be a dumb question.

I know the standard procedures for getting a bird that is going to be mounted ready for the freezer. But is there any thing special that should be done with birds with long tail feathers such as a Longtail or Pintail (or even a pheasant I suppose). Seems like leaving them extended would require a much bigger bag and could possibly expose the feathers to breakage. Usually we try to make a nice compact package.

What is the best way to deal with long tail feathers in order to protect them in the freezer and possibly even shipping?

Thank you!

Brad's Birds

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
As long as the tail feathers are not "kinked" ie bent 90 degrees and cracked, they will be fine curled into a circle. Many times customer's attempts to package the tail straight with cardboard, tape, etc... ends up doing more damage. A typical 2 gallon zip-loc bag will take care of ducks. Pheasants can go into a standard kitchen size trash bag.

Vandy Grift

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brad!

You answered one of my unasked questions as well, about trying to put something (i.e. cardboard) around the tail.

Ducksergeantorg

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My taxidermy friend has a shop in Grove Oklahoma, Jay's Taxidermy. I'm sure he's on FB. Tell him Old Smitty sent you. He always told me to cover that tail. He also said put the bird in a nylon stocking to keep the feathers in the same direction.

Brad's Birds

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the old "stocking" thing went out with the Ford Pinto. Maybe some still prefer it, but I, and many other taxidermists I know would prefer customers skip the stocking thing. It usually causes more harm than good plus those that do use it, end up putting it in the freezer with just the stocking and no plastic bag, resulting in quick freezer burn.