Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Priceless, sentimental, pocket knives...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ButchA, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

I know this is the main Duck Hunters' Forum, but I was wondering if anyone else carries a very sentimental and prized pocket knife with them:

(CUT 'n PASTED FROM FACEBOOK)

Thinking back to the gun show that I went to a few weeks ago... Not only did they have ammo, firearms, etc... but they had knives of all assorted types. I found an older gentleman who had a table with vintage knives. I saw he had some old Schrade knives and Old Timer, Uncle Henry, etc... from days gone by. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my dad's old 1973 Schrade 787 "Improved Muskrat" pocket knife. He instantly knew what it was and asked about it. I handed it to him and he looked it all over, opened the blades, etc.. and I told him the story of me being with my dad in 1973 up in the Adirondack Mts of northern NY on a camping trip with my family, when he bought it at the camp store. He used it all over the place, cut my fishing line with it, whittled with it, and (later on) even used it to scrape off the water pump gasket on my 1971 Plymouth Satellite car!

The older gentleman asked why one blade is shorter than the other (original Schrade 787's have equal length blades)... I told him that back during one of the camping trips, the old 5½hp Johnson Seahorse outboard motor, lost it's cotter pin on the prop, and the prop was spinning loose! We paddled to shore, and my dad found a nail in a tree (to use as a temporary cotter pin) and carved it out and pried it out with the pocket knife, and accidently busted off the end of one of the blades. Later on, after we were home, he used his bench grinder, and ground it down, fashioning it into the shape of a much shorter blade. You could just see the guy (and another customer) totally captivated by the history and stories behind my dad's old pocket knife!

Then, sadly, I had to close the story with the passing of my dad in 2002, and how my mom said that this very pocket knife was in his pants pocket on the way to the hospital, and how he always carried the pocket knife everywhere he went, no matter where. IBM business suits, camping trips, LaGrange Ambulance calls, Fire & Rescue calls, etc... it didn't matter, the old pocket knife was in his pants pocket. Then... (I took a breath, to avoid getting choked up) once I rushed to my parents house, after my dad had passed, my mom held out the pocket knife to me, and with tears in her eyes, she said, "He wanted you to have this..." and handed me the old Schrade pocket knife. I put it in my pocket, hugged my mom, and well.. I'm not ashamed... I fell apart... :cry

I looked at the older gentleman at his table (and the other customer too), and both them them had a look on their faces that can't be described. The other customer reached up, put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Buddy, whatever you do, don't you EVER lose that knife!" :tu

[​IMG]

2. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

I had a favorite pocket knife for many many years. Probably 25 some years.

Then one day I went for an airplane ride.

I don't have that knife anymore....but I have a new one (well, now its around 10 years). Always have a pocketknife on me.

Went to a show in Milwaukee a few years back...didn't know you couldn't have a knife there. I hid it outside in a flower pot. After the show myself and two other guys retrieved our knives from the flower pots.:l

WHUP ! Hen, Vahunter and ButchA like this.
  3. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

Wow... I *always* have my dad's old Schrade pocket knife on me. The only time I didn't carry it (and I felt naked without it), was last year when my wife and I flew out to San Diego to visit my daughter & son-in-law on the military base, and meet our new granddaughter.

I just fear that somewhere, someday, I am going to have to go through a metal detector and get caught with it in my pocket. The security guards, cops, or whoever, will take it from me. (Edit: Pfffftttt... good luck with that! I'll just turn around and walk out!)

callinfowl and Shirleyshusband like this.
  4. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Not a pocket knife, but my dad gave me a fixed blade Buck knife that he taught me how to gut deer with before he passed. I still run it through all my deer.

5. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I had a relatively cheap Gerber knife I got at Wallyworld around 2001-ish. Even though it was fairly cheap, it actually had a good blade and didn’t take long to become my favorite. It had some rubber pieces on each side and after a few years they came loose and would need to be found and reattached.

It became truly both amusing and amazing that this knife and its rubber sides became virtually unable to be lost. That knife carved 1000’s and 1000’s of game birds, cut countless slabs of jerky, sausage and cheese and all other functions of a useful knife.

Then late one winter a few weeks prior to a trip to a foreign tropical destination, I fortunately noticed my passport had expired. I needed a new one in a hurry and the only way to do so was a trip to hell. So off to Chicago I went. My first lesson was parking an F350 with an 8’ box is not an easy task in hell. After finally doing so, I made a one mile trek to the Federal building. I was still a bit chilled when I got inside and with hands in my pockets, I was actually holding onto my favorite knife as I stood in the security line to get in. Then it dawned on me that I had a knife in my pocket while I was standing in a security line inside a Federal building. That wasn’t going to fare well for me or my knife. So I quietly exited in search of a secure hiding hole.

Finding a spot that was easy but unnoticeable actually became difficult. I walked down a wide, well travelled alley in search of the perfect spot. Suddenly there it was, a large dumpster with hinged doors on one end and those hinges provided me an accessible but hidden spot to tuck my knife into. With knife hidden I continued my quest.

A few hours later I exit the building and was in a rush to exit hell asap. I start my walk down the alley to my favorite knifes hiding spot. As I get closer I have to look to see that I’m in the correct alley, after confirming that I was, I had to rub my eyes in disbelief of what I was now seeing.... An alley that within the past few hours had become dumpster-less. And more importantly my favorite knife-less. Yes, after who knows how long that dumpster had been there, someone chose the 3 hour window that it was being used to actually house something still useful, they decided to have it hauled off. Doh!

I do have to admit that I was glad that if I was going to lose it, that I lost it the way I did and at least knew it was gone for good.

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I don't have any stories as good as thes but I've got a couple that have some meaning. One is a Buck, 503 I believe, that has my initials engraved in it. It was a gift from my brother. He gave one to all his groomsmen in his wedding. The other is an old Buck 303 that was my dads. No idea when it where he got it but he had it long enough that the handle is worn slick on the sides, he carried it everywhere. Its dull as can be, I doubt it would cut hot butter. I don't think he ever sharpened it. I thought about putting an edge on it but decided to leave it as is.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I have the exact same knife it was my Gramp's who a commercial Albacore fishermen. One blade is smaller on mine as well. From him sharpening it so often on an old sharpening stone on the boat.
    My Nonna gave it to me when Gramp's passed away and told me not to lose it.:tu

black brant, WHUP ! Hen and ButchA like this.
  8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I use one way too hard and too often in situations where it could be lost forever to carry an irreplaceable knife. And still find myself hoping a grandson will value the utility of my choice enough to use it, too.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

These were also Gramp's knifes.
    The one on the right with the weird blade is the one I posted about above, I was mistaken about it being the same. I've never seen another with a blade like this one. Gramp's used it while he was repairing and making nets. 2019-11-18 02.36.22.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I did that at the SF airport the last time I flew, I forgot I had my Leatherman on. So I just hid it in front of the bar. I knew I wouldn't forget it when we got back, I have a hard time passing airport bars, I don't like flying a whole bunch.

Fowler267, ButchA and Shirleyshusband like this.