Primers

Muff

Reaction score
@sharkman @JP , do you mind me asking where you found a pound of AS for sale? I feel like a cave troll everyday lurking on every reloading component and powder site I can find to see if Alliant Steel shows up with no avail. Just curious as I feel like it is extinct online and locally for me as well.

sharkman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Muff, got 1 pound from a small gun shop just north of me, guy I worked with was coming home from a fishing trip and picked it up for me (1 pound per vehicle), only seen it online 1 time in the last year?, powder valley had 4 pounders.

renoduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Brownell’s saying they had Cheddite 209’s available with no quantity limit. Clicked to see the price and about spewed…..$75 per 1000! Son of a biotch, when is this madness going to ease?? Few months ago I bought several boxes of cheddite 209’s boxes from Sportsman’s Wharehouse for $40/1000. Just glad that I have enough of them and all the other 209’s to get me through what I’ll shoot up for many years…dang!
They can keep those. I’ll quit shooting thanks

Muff

Reaction score
Muff, got 1 pound from a small gun shop just north of me, guy I worked with was coming home from a fishing trip and picked it up for me (1 pound per vehicle), only seen it online 1 time in the last year?, powder valley had 4 pounders.
Thanks for the reply, I will stay on the hunt for it. I wish it was more locally prevalent where I live. My coworker who is also an avid reloader just bought 14 pounds(Older Lots from 90's-Early 2000's) from a guy in Washington and is waiting for it to be delivered, I will probably ask him if he would part ways with a couple pounds for some $. What a crazy time we live in with this stuff going around nowadays!

I've heard the older lots of ASteel and the production was a little different or possibly "Hotter" compared to how they make it nowadays, is this true ?

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I also found it in a LRS @$39/lb ~5 weeks ago.

CanardNoir

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Brownell’s saying they had Cheddite 209’s available with no quantity limit. Clicked to see the price and about spewed…..$75 per 1000! Son of a biotch, when is this madness going to ease?? Few months ago I bought several boxes of cheddite 209’s boxes from Sportsman’s Wharehouse for $40/1000. Just glad that I have enough of them and all the other 209’s to get me through what I’ll shoot up for many years…dang!
When? In about 2 years, or when government agencies get armed well enough...

Northhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pound. $55 CAN. He had a case.. maybe I should go back lol

I've heard the older lots of ASteel and the production was a little different or possibly "Hotter" compared to how they make it nowadays, is this true ?

The earlier lots were reportedly cooler and increased in potency somewhat with each subsequent lot (into the 20's IIRC?). The newer stuff is supposedly more consistent and has leveled off. Those aren't my own findings.. just what I remember reading.

I have a lb of Lot 2 that I dunno what to do with. I worked up my 20ga loads with lot 49 I think, the stuff I'm on now is 51.
I kinda want to use it, but with components as a whole being kinda scarce, I don't want to start all over if I don't have to.
I have no idea what the difference is between 2 and 51 lol

Jim Atlas

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting threads.

Last edited:

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Load, shoot, repeat. The variantions lot to lot are likely less than the variations shell to shell you are loading. New hull, once fired, thrice fired, .02 grains or powder here or there, crimps……. Your gun is proof tested to a minimum 19K psi if it’s a 3-inch chamber. You have to really try to load a shell that hits that. Now I’m not saying be cavalier with your reloading. If you are loading a max pressure shell it’s never gonna hurt to back off 1/2 grain or so of powder regardless of the lot. But you’ll send yourself down a rabbit hole you start worrying about it. You think blue dot or Longshot or or or are any better or different? It’s just that Joe S tested STEEL and told us that some lots are a little hotter than others. Test other powders and I bet same result.

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Load, shoot, repeat. The variantions lot to lot are likely less than the variations shell to shell you are loading. New hull, once fired, thrice fired, .02 grains or powder here or there, crimps……. Your gun is proof tested to a minimum 19K psi if it’s a 3-inch chamber. You have to really try to load a shell that hits that. Now I’m not saying be cavalier with your reloading. If you are loading a max pressure shell it’s never gonna hurt to back off 1/2 grain or so of powder regardless of the lot. But you’ll send yourself down a rabbit hole you start worrying about it. You think blue dot or Longshot or or or are any better or different? It’s just that Joe S tested STEEL and told us that some lots are a little hotter than others. Test other powders and I bet same result.
Well said.

When I first loaded shotshells (Lee Loader that came in the small box) back in 1967 using no scales, AL7 & AL8, Fed 209 primers and multiple loads with the same hull. If a little bit is good, a whole lot more was better. It was a testament to the strength of the Remington 1100 Magnum action.

Latest posts