Production observation.

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by BB-Shot, Sep 10, 2021.

1. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

This is coming from a back yard observation and my drive by pond counts not as good as last year. It was a cold on and off this spring I found several abundant nests this year dumping up to ten eggs and not sitting. Every year is different here this year is mainly Teal not too many big ducks two weeks till go time it could change any day. Had to drain off one wet land to fill other this year the back 40 was getting dry.
    17 Aug.
    DJI_0145.JPG Let me think lake water high ditch water low.
    006.JPG
    Drain one wetland to fill other it's what you do.
    010.JPG
    It worked I lowered the water surface of a wetland to fill other and no one has noticed yet.
    DJI_0150.JPG

Mean Gene, Huntges11 and Wareagle1 like this.
  2. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

Did you block it back off after the 17th? Did all that rain fill it any meaningful amount?

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Good stuff BB. Looks like still enough water around you to hold some birds. :tu

4. BB-Shot

No I didn't block nothing with the wind and waves hitting the shore line it seals the mouth of the ditch off over time. Yes to the rain with the near 3" that fell that helped a lot.

5. megasupermagnum

You don't happen to live off of CR 4, do you? I drive by a place that looks just like that. Beautiful area. I fished the Eden area quite a bit this year.

6. BB-Shot

I live were no body goes just off CR-4 correct, no public access. I don't fish much I live to close to the water to have time for that. Next question are there any fish, Yes all kinds, Can I fish there, Yes and No. Short story A OOS'er bought the land rights and posted the west half of the lake. My half is open it's not a easy process to post it I looked into it once and said no. I will do it if I find one Pike left behind anything at all... Foot prints and tire tracks are only allowed to be left on the ice... When you mentioned fish I get asked these question all the time even with the locals. Welcome to the Refuge forums I see you joined in Jul.
    They were here on 15 Jun. seen a good return this spring. .
    015.JPG
    Seen the bad too lot's of dumping and no sitting in June May was a washout to cool no green grass starting to grow.
    019.JPG
    15 Jun five hen mallard eggs dumped in late May when the drakes took off to do what they do in the summer the hens went with them.
    022.JPG
    The Spoonie and coot left also.
    010.JPG
    Sun setting on the prairie potholes like most years production here is different every year this year was odd.
    019.JPG

Mean Gene likes this.
  7. megasupermagnum

It's a wonderful area for sure. I moved near Aberdeen back in early March. I'm about 4 miles away from the city limits, but that's not quite far enough. I'm renting now, but I definitely see myself looking for a house somewhere just west of Roslyn/Eden area. Close enough to work in Aberdeen, Britton, Webster, or Sisseton, but right in some of the best SD has to offer. As far from crowds as I can get.

I've fished a different lake every time, but all with public boat launches, except the sand lake refuge. It seemed I did better on the smaller lakes, than the bigger ones. There was a day back in early summer, probably about June 15thish, north buffalo lake I had one of the best days ever for multi-species. Then a week later, nothing.

If you ever see a decrepit black pickup towing a brown/tan Lund boat with a big "Fear no Pike" sticker on the side, that's me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021 at 1:06 AM