Michigan Flyway Forum Sponsors

Proposal 20-1

Discussion in 'Michigan Flyway Forum' started by Uncle Fuzzy, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Senior Refuge Member

Help me out here. I received my absentee ballot and noticed Proposal 20-1. As I read it, they are going to take the money that has been going to divert the revenue from gas and oil on state land from habitat acquisition and use for the park system.
    You need to know that I don't have all the information as I have not been keeping up but back in the 1980's or 1990's the state raided the fund for all kinds of stuff.
    As I remember it, the income for the fund comes from oil and gas leases on land bought with hunters dollars and should remain so.
    I understand the state parks are in trouble, but that is because the legislature has failed to properly fund them and they are just looking for a bail out.

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

You got it right.....they doing here in IL and our refuges are poorer for it.

Westmichwtrdog likes this.
  3. oleww

oleww Senior Refuge Member

Happens all the time. Trumps biggest wildlife funding project in the last 100 years was Just reallocating monies around.

sounds good when you are doing things for nature, but at what cost somewhere else.
    Louisiana lost some oil revenue taxes that we need to rebuild our coast.

4. Doofighter

Doofighter Senior Refuge Member

I tried digging into this a little more. Uncle Fuzzy, your synopsis seems correct from what I read. Yet, I'm confused by who's supporting it and who's not. supporters include DU, NWTF and Pheasants forever. Those opposing mention climate change in their arguments. Ugh...

I get what the language says they'll do, just not sure how it'll play out on the ground, so to speak.

source: https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Proposal_1,_Use_of_State_and_Local_Park_Funds_Amendment_(2020)

5. OldGriz

OldGriz Senior Refuge Member

I need to read more on this proposal. It has a long list of environmental supporters. To me it looks like oil and gas money will go to the State Parks Endowment Fund until it reaches $800,000,000! After that cap is reached, subsequent revenue would go to the Natural Resources Trust Fund. If I remember correctly, all money used to go to the Natural Resources Trust Fund for land acquisition.