Proposal for seasons

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by JP, May 3, 2020.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The proposed changes is to delay opener until the second Saturday in November and go back to the 5 day split with closer still as last Sunday in January. Only bag limit change is scaup reduced to 1/day. Zone 1 and zone 2 separate dates would be abolished with both zones having the above framework. Panhandle High Plains Mallard Management Unit would still have it’s own framework.

Rangerbob likes this.
  2. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Senior Refuge Member

I think this is a terrible idea and see no logic in it. Ducks haven’t been here mid December in how many years, but they have been here en masse on opening day, so why take days away from when they’re here and give us more huntable days when it’s been dry? I don’t know what the logic in this is. It’s really disappointing

3. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

I've had almost the exact opposite observations than you have, albeit I've seen more ducks in the latter part of the season (Jan) than the beginning. I'm hunting exclusively in the NE "green country" corner of OK, so perhaps your location is quite different?

The only thing I can see that this change gives us is the ability to hunt over Thanksgiving weekend, or at least most of it. I'll be pheasant hunting in SD from Dec 5-12, so it doesn't really bother me when they start the 2nd split...I won't be here lol. I don't really get serious about waterfowl until after I return from SoDak; part of that is work-related, but part of it is lack of consistent ducks in my haunts too.

I guess we'll see how it goes this year.

4. FriedPotatoes

I’m in eastern OK too, and we were covered up in ducks last year even before the season started. Same for the year before. I really think a lot of guys (not saying you) assume there aren’t ducks around early season so don’t even go scout for them. We had more ducks the first weekend than at any other time.

as far as thanksgiving weekend, don’t we get to hunt thanksgiving weekend anyway? I don’t think this changes a whole lot but maybe I’m mistaken.

5. Eggplant

Eggplant Refuge Member

We had ducks everywhere last season the first two weeks in Zone 1. Ducks are scarce in December lately.

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The photosynthesis migration takes place around the middle of October. It’s our Gadwall, Widgeon, Ringneck, GWT along with Pintail and some Mallards.

The big question is will we have the habitat to hold them?

We didn’t have any to speak of last season save for some ponds/sloughs that were able to generate habitat and maintain it. Our lease in McIntosh county held Gadwall and some Mallards and GWT pretty much all season on several of the ponds as they contain quite a bit of Widgeon grass, smartweed and sprangletop. We are planting wild rice on the ones with clear water and Japanese millet on the big watershed’s mudflats.

January needs to be a dry month so what northern Mallards do come down will not loaf in the sheet water.

7. FriedPotatoes

JP our little stretch of the river was covered last year opening day. They arrived the Monday before the opening Saturday. I don’t wanna do the internet scouters’ work for them but you know where I’m talking about.

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I hope last season was an anomaly as the entire migration was several weeks late or even nonexistent.

9. FriedPotatoes

I’m afraid the last few seasons are the new normal. That’s only been made worse (for us) by the changed season dates. Time to start goose hunting more I guess.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Keep the faith