"Proposed" Goose Season Changes

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Juvie Juke Box, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Looks like the GFP Commission is "proposing" to make some changes to the 2021 season in regards to Canada Goose hunting but lets be real anything the commission proposes is already a done deal as they put their ear plugs in when it comes to public opinion.

Unit 1: From Sept 1 to Sept 30, 2021 the Daily limit will be bumped from 8 to 15.
    https://gfp.sd.gov/UserDocs/PRO1_2021_Early_Fall_Canada_Goose.pdf

August Management Season August 21-31 Limit 15 birds.
    https://gfp.sd.gov/UserDocs/PRO1_2021_Waterfowl_August_Management_Take.pdf

Thoughts?

2. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

I don't think i would complain about that limit. I agree with the deaf ears parts especially on the eastern flyway

3. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

To me, the limit during that season means little other than adding to overall pressure. Very few people are going to shoot a limit of 15 birds, let alone a group. But it does attract hunters from other states with high hopes. What is interesting is I haven't heard anything in terms of complaints on the resident goose numbers. Either people are just used to it or it isn't a problem. Most I know who have hunted early season the last several years report less than stellar success.

I do agree on the commission.....they seem to be quite set in their ways.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

"here's your 15 bird limit, but how dare you ask for unplugged shotguns." - GFP commission (probably.)

5. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Canada Goose BPOP numbers have risen substantially over the last two years. High enough they feel the need for the August season with 15 bird limit. At least the August season as proposed is Resident only. GFP commission is pretty worthless over the last 5 years.

shirtguy and BirdJ like this.
  6. tjones

tjones Senior Refuge Member

Are the "game wardens" still gonna drill holes in eggs, smash nests, oil eggs, etc? Are "farmers" still going to be allowed to kill as many young geese as the want, and just let them lay? If so, I'm not about to shoot ANY geese in August. This whole change to one GFP/ag dept is gonna be bad for the critters. IMHO, neither of these entities should be allowed to kill a single goose until the landowner opens up their land to goose hunters.

GK1, grnhd, BirdJ and 3 others like this.
  7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I just moved from MN to SD a year ago and I hunted the September season. I wasn't impressed compared to the September goose hunting I've experienced back home. There was allot of competition and not that many geese.

They tried the August season for a few years in Minnesota. It was a disaster. There was no increase in harvest. The birds that were shot in the August season were the same birds that would be shot early in the September season. It basically spread out harvest from 3 weeks to 5 weeks. The beginning of the September season became a complete bust. They cancelled the hunt after 3-4 years. I doubt it's going to be any different here.

The added limit is just going to make the geese harder to shoot. I've had maybe two days in my life where I could have shot 15 geese a person with a couple guys. If I would have done that those days I would have completely burned out the field for the next day. It's also not going to increase harvest, It'll just educate geese allot faster. You're going to shoot the geese you're going to shoot. Would you rather have a couple good hunts over a 6 week period or an extended period of decent consistent hunting. I would much rather have the latter.

4 BUCK likes this.