Proposed Seasons for 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

They don't turn anything over to plant. That's actually a pretty big cause of stopping migration. Instead of turning over at the end of the year, which was a common practice, they just disc it in with herbicide.

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Theres definately a lack of corn stubble fields in my area an about everything corn is planted in winter wheat. Geese don,t use the wheat unless stubble covered by snow which is a rarity during season. Fields that right up to advent of winter wheat planting increase that held geese and fed ducks at night suddenly went birdless. And lack of swans from same scenario. Find the right field w stubble and no wheat usually you,ll find birds at least in my observations.

3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I don’t follow? (Disc in with herbicide) I don’t see how the use of herbicide would have anything to do with geese using a field. Over last 30yrs (Va) I have seen geese stop using corn except on the coldest of days and they seem to prefer pasture ponds and grass, wheat fields with water.

Duckbutlernew likes this.
  4. Ruination

Standard farming practice used to be at the end of the season you tilled the field.

No till farming is the norm now.

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  5. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Which means more waste grain would be available with no till and if they cover with wheat there is food available. I took your post to mean that filling under is better for the birds.

6. Ruination

Right.

Now you have NY growing corn and PA growing corn, none of it being tilled.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

I agree. I don’t goose hunt really but I do find it strange that the 200 or so geese that use my parents pond show up at first light n leave at dusk. It’s still being dug so not really any food. They swim n chill up on the sand. Some days walk into the horse pasture but not much n then fly back to roost. There’s corn fields 40 yards from them n they never step foot in it.

8. dgram36

dgram36 Refuge Member

Is there any way that when they propose the Sunday waterfowl hunting they could include a clause advocating for reduced alimony and child support?

Ruination likes this.
  9. Tyedog

Tyedog Senior Refuge Member

10. Duckbutlernew

Duckbutlernew New Member

What don’t you shoot them,?!