Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Pros and cons of buying a started dog.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by 2WIDGN, Aug 10, 2020.

1. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Back in September I attempted to work with a dead goose in the yard. Bravo was reluctant. So I immediately stopped the session and put the goose in the freezer. I called the original trainer last week and made a plan with him to work with the goose. He was the one that originally force fetched Bravo. Everything went as planned. Within minutes he had Bravo retrieving the goose and holding the 12 pound bird at heel. Another successful evening with Bravo.

likesbigspreads likes this.
  2. pjsjr

pjsjr New Member

That was the right thing to do, September was not that long ago. Take your time and know your limitations. You and Bravo are going to have a great relationship and be a great team in the field. May '20-'21 prove productive and successful for team 2WIDGN.

3. 2WIDGN

@pjsjr Thanks for the kind words. I constantly remind myself to have patience. Retriever training is like a long, drawn out puzzle. I keep working with small pieces and they all eventually fit together.

pjsjr likes this.
  4. 2WIDGN

Everyday I try to show him something new. Since the weather is finally starting to cool off, I took him to work with me. I work at a power plant. He stayed in the crate, in the truck. At lunchtime I got him out and did some obedience and a few drills I a large grassy area in front of the plant. Then after work we took the boat out to the blind and I did some repairs to an old dog ramp. He spent some time running around in the shallow water around the blind while I worked. After the dog ramp was finished, I showed him how to use the dog ramp and where to sit and watch for birds. I got a bumper out and he did multiple retrieves. Each time he did great. Climbed the ramp holding the bumper and waited for me to take it from him. I forgot my phone in the truck so, no pictures. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the new dog pit in next to my goose pit so we can start working on retrieving from there. Season is quickly approaching and I hope to do a little training at each location that I hunt.

pjsjr and MJ like this.
  5. pjsjr

pjsjr New Member

That's the right thing to do. Good on you for taking the time, it will pay dividends.

2WIDGN likes this.
  6. 2WIDGN

Today was opening day for Illinois central zone. Only two of us in the blind. I've been working daily with Bravo and steadiness. He did well. Didn't break. He did several blinds today, his handling was a little off but he still ended up retrieving 9 of twelve birds. The other three were crippled in lilly pads that were on the move and he wouldn't have caught up with them. Overall it was a great day. I didn't find myself frustrated with him or myself. He was a happy dog, retrieving birds. He's been asleep on the living room floor for hours!! And the first wood duck of the day was banded! KIMG0479.JPG

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Fine start.

8. 2WIDGN

Day two went well also. Fewer ducks. He broke once. Still not frustrated, more steadiness work is ahead. And he retrieved another banded bird today! Two days in a row!!! 14926.jpeg

Ratdaddy, MJ, KwickLabs and 1 other person like this.
  9. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

That’s fantastic. I’m glad it’s working out for both of you. It’s amazing how fast they will bond with you and try to please. Keep us updated

2WIDGN likes this.
  10. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Refuge Member

So sorry for your loss..

I went through the puppy stage with my 1st Lab and as my life became busier (2 jobs) and (2 kids) I decided that my next dog would be a started dog..
    I did my research with different trainers/breeders called and asked questions/etc. And by chance a breeder/trainer had seen my add on the RTF classifieds & reached out to me. Rick told me he was selling his started Lab who was a Hunt Test dog but would make a great a hunting dog. After chatting back & forth I made the purchase of my 27 month old Lab (Ammo). At the time of purchase he was A titled JH on his way to a SH title (which he has gotten). I drop the dog off with Rick every May through Sept. since he is now running for his MH title. He makes the transition to Rick & then back to me with no problems the last 3 years. He is a great hunter/retriever, is well in tune with me as we work most daily before season and then hunt 4-5 days a week, is my shadow where ever we go, and I’m thankful for what I have received in a dog.
    I hope this helps in your decision.

Don Smith and 2WIDGN like this.