Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Pros and cons of buying a started dog.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by 2WIDGN, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Don Smith

Don Smith Elite Refuge Member

I think the last time I saw Tellous was at the SRS in Dyersburg, TN in 2007. That's back when it used to be televised. Fortunately, a friend decided to record that one and called my when he saw me on it. He copied it to VHS so i can watch it whenever I want. Tellous was interviewed in the very beginning. I was interviewed in the last holding blind in the first series. My late Abe (HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH), who passed in August 2013, got into the act, too, and during the interview he jumped up and put his front paws on my shoulders for the interview. I tried to think of things that would keep us off the editing cutting room floor and it must have worked because we got our couple of minutes of fame. They also recorded Abe's run in the first series. I recall it was terribly hot - into the 90s - and he ran at about 2:00. When he's sitting next to me at the line watching rubber ducks fall, you can see the sweat dripping off his tongue. Great memories.

2WIDGN likes this.
  2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

to the OP,

I've had 4 labs, and 3 of them were started dogs (11-12 months old) have all have worked out great. My choice for getting started dogs was primarily made because I worked 60-100 hours a week, traveled for work 3-5 days a week, and coached my kids sports teams on weekends, and when I wasn't traveling.....My schedule left little time to training. My first two dogs were blessed to pick up 400-1000 birds a year. They overly weren't stylist, but they were great dogs, and got the job done. My current (2) dogs were "STARTED", but it was really just barely more than basic OB. I put a lot of time into training them, and a few years ago joined a retriever training club, and start running hunt tests.

I think when you make the decision whether to buy a pup, or buy a started dog, you have to weigh whether you have the time and skill to train a dog....do you only have time to train a "meat dog",........... or do you want one that has 4 wheel drive and reverse. (either way, you will still need to train him).

I wouldn't worry about bonding. I believe that if you look at several well bred dogs, you will find one that suits you perfectly.

2WIDGN likes this.