Ptarmigan numbers?

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by JDO, Aug 24, 2019.

1. JDO

JDO New Member

Heading to Alaska in 10 days . . . Sounds like there's smoke in the Kenai. Luckily I'm heading the other way.

Anyone know how ptarmigan numbers are this year? Would it be worth it to do some walk up hunting for them? How about geese? I'm wondering if I should pack some BB shot? Or just go with #2's.

Thanks for your replies!

2. Tundrawookie

Tundrawookie New Member

Can’t vouch for wherever you may be going, but ptarmigan numbers are excellent in the areas I’ve been hunting. We apparently had a solid hatch with lots of juveniles. Ptarmigan hunting is always a worthwhile effort. For what it’s worth, You’re probably going to encounter smoke just about anywhere you go this season.
    I’d suggest 2’s for geese; about the biggest goose You’re going to find up here is a 5-6 pound Taverner.
    Good luck!

3. Tundrawookie

Tundrawookie New Member

Oh wait...it just occurred to me that I DO know where You’re going...duh.
    Ptarmigan numbers have been solid north of Anchorage; sounds like they struggled a bit in far western Alaska; but there are always some birds available. Again, good luck.