Public blinds at Big Lake

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Small Bore Hunter, Feb 22, 2021.

1. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Southwest Oklahoma/north Texas...

Or Michigan.

Or Kansas....I've been wanting to go to Kansas for a chance to get pheasants and ducks in the same trip...

2. JHS76

JHS76 Senior Refuge Member

The Sunken Lands is such a variety. You have areas that are green tree reservoirs, swamp lands, open lake type areas, river/creek channels, oxbow lakes, moist soil units.

Being that the St Francis River flows through it(as well as other creeks and ditches), the water depth can can change from one week to the next. Some spots are huntable better on low water, some spots are hunted better during high water. Some spots are accessible only during high water while others are inaccessible during high water.

You can hunt from a boat, you can wade in some areas and stand behind a tree, other spots you can hunt from land.

Some days you don't realize anyone is there, some days you might have a person or group 100 yards behind you.

It's 30 miles long, 27,000 acres, and touches 4 counties. Myself and others have discovered so much more now that the blinds are gone and basically at times forget that blinds once existed. Nobody fights, bickers, or argues much anymore. It's usually just hunt, speak to someone at an access point, and go home.

I usually stay around the southern portion near Marked Tree or Truman. Siphons, Tulot, Oak Donnick, or Singer.

AppalachianHollers likes this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

If comparing to Reelfoot, they are nothing alike.

JHS76 likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Just compare on a map and it's obvious that the wma and reelfoot aren't similar.
    Big Lake WMA is my home court.
    I'd be lost in Tennessee.

If you plan on using big lake wma spend the money and buy a topo. It will pay off.

JHS76 likes this.
  5. Aunt Betty

I'll assist anyone who wants to hunt there on condition that if you beat me to a hole you'll let me in. I dont care there's no limit on how many guns can use a hole. more is usually better.
    I'm good luck;)

6. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

It's almost been a year since I was sitting along the Snake at
    It's been almost a year since I was sitting at Swarbachers Landing on the Snake in the Grand Tetons waiting for the sunrise . I didn't even have my phone or camera out. In the clear, crisp, frosty[ 22 degree air, a group of about 20 Mallards come buzzing in, circled once and lit in the river between me and the Cathederal Group in the background in the faintest of light. My wife was sitting beside me and she said, "I get it now."

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  7. Aunt Betty

I took the wife once. She tells the story well.
    "Two ducks came in and before you could say spit he shot em both".
    Later she winged a Canada goose..longest retrieve EVER. My dog swam a mile.
    SHE GETS US.