California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Public land hunting...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

What is the closest yardage somebody was at, while hunting next to you?

2. 1911king

1911king Elite Refuge Member

“Hey do you smell hazelnut coffee?”

JRS, OGblackcloud, Brottboss and 2 others like this.
  3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I’d say 60ish yards. I had a guy walk in on us at shoot time in the fog. I shot at a landing bird and he started yelling not to shoot his way… We had no clue he was there. We let him know that & let him know that he was too close and should seek opportunities elsewhere for safety reasons. He agreed.

Idk what guys are thinking who do that. Even 150 yards is closer than I like but such is life on refuges.

Brottboss and A-Ron G like this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

We hunt only public up here and generally there is room for everyone to spread out. We have very occasionally had folks walk in near to where we have boated in and set up. Closest "attempt" was probably 80 yards. We always have discussions which include the disclaimer that we were there first and will not modify our fields of fire for late arriving adjacent hunting parties. We have always been able to get folks to move on along.

5. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

One time at LDC I was hunting solo on a reservation and was one of the first to select a spot out in the free roam area. I got set up and about a half hour before LST a guy and two junior hunters walk right through my decoys and start throwing their decoys out mixed in with mine. I yelled to them and the guy ignored me. I heard one of the kids say, dad those decoys are that guy's. I walked up to the dad and all he would say was, this is where we are hunting. I wanted to tell him that if he doesn't pick up his decoys and move on that he will be going for a swim but I didn't because of the two young boys. So my answer is about 45 yards. They shot at everything and limited in about one hour and left. Ruined my morning but I salvaged the hunt and finished with a really nice limit of ducks.

6. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

Dove hunting one time I had a guy sit 10 yards from me. Seriously. It was an odd conversation until he got up and left. I freaking couldn’t believe it.

freefall likes this.
  7. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I posted a picture years ago of some ancient dude in a kayak at Kern literally hunting over my decoy spread. He ignored everything I said to him like I wasn’t even there. Mudhen and I were there and it was one of the most surreal hunts I’ve ever been on. Home slice was actually shooting ducks as they came in to our decoys, and picking them up out of the spread. I should have drowned him but he threw me for a loop pretending he couldn’t see me standing in front of him. Armenian I think.

8. 3B209

3B209 Refuge Member

2 guys set up on my buddy, his sons and I last year. We got out early and had a nice spread and right after shoot time these guys came in, no decoys , set an a frame up a good 70 yards from us and hunted off our decoys.

9. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Colusa east side free roam, strong N wind, with a top 10 ressi. First to the pond and set up on the south side of a tule patch that was about 20 yards in diameter. Homes drops into the pond about an hour after I did and proceeds to trudge past me and my spread going to the north. I could hear him splashing around and setting up and it sounded close but I thought the N wind was amplifying the sound making it seem closer to me than it actually was.

LST comes a couple minutes later and the N wind is cranking to 20-25 mph. Pair of mallard comes right in from the south cupped up maybe 15-20 yards high and before I get up to shoot three shots ring out over my head and the hen sails off wounded while the greenhead flies away. This jacka$$ was on the north side of the tule patch I was in with no decoys. Downwinded from the upwind side...

After some words, a few of which were in Russian, I said F it and went and sat on the levy with my dog until this asshat finished. Took him a bit to finish because he was sailing birds everywhere and had no dog. I became his bird boy to get him tfo. Fortunately goose limits were lower back then and none were flying.

10. NorCalDuckHntr

NorCalDuckHntr New Member

I went by myself to a public area to hunt geese last season. I got there early so I could get my spot. I set up my 150 silos and layed down for a little bit. I saw flashlights in the distance and thought the group was gonna hunt the pond 100+ yards away. It was super foggy so I could barely see the lights. Anyways when it was light they set up about 50 yards from me. There were plenty of geese flying I thought they may let some come into me. They shot at the flocks that were obviously working my spread. I was outcalling them so the birds were working me better. The only reason I didnt say anything was there was 5 guys. After they started shooting at everything I started calling badly even with my duck calls to try and get birds to flare off them. If my buddy I hunt with was there it could of got ugly. It was definitely sh itty