Public lands open to hunting guides?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by Vammy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

Did anybody else get this email from Wildlife and Game this week?

NEWS: Wildlife Bills Face Senate Deadline Votes This Week; Measures Include SB 703 That Halts Further Public Hunting, Fishing Land Purchases

Among the bills are proposals that would:

• Essentially freeze the Wildlife Department’s ability to buy additional lands for public hunting and fishing access (Senate Bill 703, Sen. Casey Murdock and Rep. Kevin McDugle).
    • Dramatically reduce the ability of state Game Wardens to stop poaching and trespassing on private land (SB 567, Sen. Nathan Dahm, and SB 927, Murdock).
    • Enable nonresident landowners to buy Oklahoma hunting/fishing combination licenses for $25, which is less than resident combination licenses ($42), and hand them out to relatives. (SB 984, Murdock, and HB 2324, McDugle).
    • Would allow commercial hunting guides to operate on Oklahoma’s public hunting areas, although a proposed amendment would authorize the Department to regulate and assess fees (SB 566, Murdock and McDugle).
    I'm mostly concerned about allowing commercial hunting guides on public hunting areas. Anybody else?

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Murdock is (IMO) deep in the hip pocket of multi state G/O companies. Right now it is technically illegal to commercially guide on department lands w/o express consent of ODWC.

Guiding has been occurring on several reservoirs for years. Kerr, Wister, Eufaula, Kaw, Skiatook, Copan & Oologah are among those where such occurs on a regular basis. Go to Vian Creek ramp on a Saturday during the season. You’ll likely see Arkansas plates 10:1 over Oklahoma ones. Moreover, the Arlie plates will usually run 3:1 of those with no boat trailer attached.

Our illustrious (Tulsa) GOP state senator (Dahm) is also hip deep in this and a LEO antagonist ever since he got busted for public drunkenness in Tulsa a few years ago.

Murdock’s proposal to prohibit CO’s from being able investigate a game law crime suspected on private property w/o first securing landowner permission is asinine. What if the spot lighter happens to be the landowner? That’s akin to not allowing LEO’s to stop a bank robbery until a bank officer says OK.

The provision forbidding ODWC acquisition of any more land for public access is in direct contradiction of the state constitutions’ mandate that ODWC do precisely such acquisitions.

Our state legislature is a clinical case study in politicians who are anyone’s dog that’ll hunt them.

3. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

I agree; the entire set of bills are completely bogus. I wasn't aware of Sen Dahm's run-in, that's pretty funny, actually.

I've been to Kaw a couple times in the past; that was enough for me. I wasn't aware guiding was already going on, but that doesn't surprise either.

I LOL'd re: politicians are anybody's dog...have some first hand experience with that in Creek County when I moved there in 2002.

I guess we will see what happens, and how many guides bring their entire families to the blind draws next Sept.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

…"Concessions & Businesses It shall be unlawful to operate any private (including guide services) or non-Departmental business or concession, including soliciting and/or advertising for any such venture, on any Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department"...

From p.42-43 of the latest Hunting Guide and the bolded verbiage was added with just this printing.